PDA

View Full Version : character: Houseelf Kreacher from Harry Potter

elhuppi
09-06-2003, 12:57 PM
Here is a painting Ive finished today in Photoshop 6. It is the houseelf named Kreacher who serves the family of Sirius Black.
The design is something between the book`s description and the houseelf dobby, which was already shown in the latest movie.
The background was done by taking a still from the first movie(original is shown below) and painting a lot onto it to match the painting style of the character (I almost worked as long on the bg as on the char so I guess its ok to use a real image). Besides I wanted to have the houseelf in an authentic environment of Hogwarts.

I want to model him soon in 3D so every constructive critic concerning the character would be very appreciated!

So, enough talking - time for the painting

NEW VERSION:
http://www.huppi.de/Kreacher_concept_colored_at.jpg

A bigger version can be found on my website:
BIGGER VERSION OF PAINTING (http://www.huppi.de/images/misc_proj3/Kreacher_concept_colored_fi.jpg)

and here is the original photo I used to create the background:

http://www.huppi.de/mcgonagall.jpg

cheers

Alex

3d zaaba
09-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Very Nice painting! :thumbsup:
looks older than the one in movie.

bumba
09-06-2003, 02:56 PM
I like the impressive detail in the skin and the hair in the ears.
I also like the bone structure showing through the skin. From an animation standpoint I wonder how dynamic you want to make your animations. Perhaps if you make the hump on the back smaller he could be moving faster and more agile.

Rhs_CG
09-06-2003, 03:54 PM
Wow, great job! Just one comment though: Kreacher only had a loin-cloth for coverings. Other then that, excellent piece.:thumbsup:

Rhs_CG
09-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Something I just noticed about his left foot. It looks like the right foot was attatched to the left leg. Maybe the toe ought to be a bit smaller.

Kel Solaar
09-06-2003, 04:02 PM
Nice painting work! wrinkles and detail of the skin are excellent!

elhuppi
09-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Thanks to all, good to have some critics at last.

@Rhs_CG:
Youre right. I saw that already myself, but too late just when the painting was quite finished. As for shure I wont do this failure in 3d when Ill model him.
And youre shure about the loincloth? I must have overead that in the book. Ill read the part again. Thanks for the hint!

@bumba:
Thats an interesting point. Im not quite shure about the behaviour of the skin yet. Since I wont rig the character thats eventually not my issue, but I think it will have a lot of jiggle to it because in the book the skin is described as too big for his body.

Thanks again to all the other nice comments, Im deeply grateful for any comment and crit.

elhuppi
09-08-2003, 03:51 PM
Due to critics on the background in another forum, I thought of giving the bg more depth and atmosphere. I guess its better now. At least I like alot more. What do you guys think?

The updated version is now at the beginning of the thread and here is the old version.

OLD VERSION:
http://www.huppi.de/Kreacher_concept_colored_sm.jpg

Alex

matthias@cgi
09-08-2003, 08:16 PM
:beer: Wow. You did a great job. Excellen look, Im anxious to see your implementation in 3D.

Goro
09-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Hi! Amazing work! I like the new version a lot better than
the old one! Looking forward to your 3D version of the character.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

elhuppi
09-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the nice compliments.
I guess Ill start modelling him in the next few days. If youre interested in the progress just watch out in the WIP 3D forum in a couple of days. Would be nice getting some feedback then too.

cheers

Alex

Philipstraub
09-10-2003, 02:09 PM
you know....I actually like the first one. Nice job either way

phoenix
09-10-2003, 08:37 PM
very stylish and impressive

Draco-84
09-10-2003, 09:52 PM
I much prefer the original!
The first pic tells so much more about the scene. In the first pic you can tell that he is likely standing near a window in this dusty old castle and that the bluish glow of the moon is peering through the window lighting him blue...
In the second there's just some blue light that you don't know where it's coming from.
Great job! :thumbsup:

elhuppi
09-11-2003, 08:33 PM
Thank you for sharing your opinion about the two versions!
But the first picture is the updated version. I just put it at the top of the thread, so the viewers first see the new one. But never mind. Im happy that you like it anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.