PDA

View Full Version : Please help w/reference model question!

jackmonterey
03-23-2010, 05:57 AM
I've been trying to import a rigged character as a reference into a new file but once I start animating the rig, the rig disappears. I can save the first initial pose, but once I advance to a new place in the timeline and try to save my keyframe settings, the rig disappears. Here's the weird thing -- I can still select the rig's handles or manipulators in the Outliner and animate, but that obviously is very difficult and the rig should be visible, this should not be happening. I think something is possibly wrong with the node connections but I cannot be sure and I have no idea what to look for or how to correct it. I've tried several different approaches to see if I can correct the problem (deleting history, etc), with no luck. Please, please -- someone who knows their way around Maya and has imported reference files into a new file, please help! This seems like a pretty essential thing to know as you need to constantly import/reference animation from several files into one master file.

File is here for download: http://www.kaleidodesign.com/3d/maya/13boogRig.zip

Thank you very much for reading, and if you can help, fantastic! Cheers!

Rob

Darksuit
03-25-2010, 03:57 PM
there are a number of basic problems going on here. First thing when you reference you want to make sure nothing is keyed. This leads to things not being able to be animated. Or animation being overwritten.

Also if you have a referenced object in a scene and you have multiple layers, setting a layer to Template or reference will cause problems with selection.

Basic problems: IK arm controls need to be zeroed out. At the moment they are off axis. You IK chains are not parented to the Controls, it looks like you have the cotnrols parented to the IK chains. You have a number of values in your actor that don't need to be there. Remove them. It only slows down the scene. Lock out and/or hide values that are not being used. There are more issues, but this basic fixes should at least correct some problems you are having.

For a beginner I would say leave the infulence object out for the time being till you are more comfortable in getting things to work correctly then add the infulence object in, and note what changes are happening.

jackmonterey
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Thanks for your response, Darksuit! I will try some of these approaches, and post the results so everyone can learn/benefit.

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2010, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.