PDA

View Full Version : using radial field on per particle basis!!!

videep
03-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am back with a new query...lolz

I want to make some pieces of cloth fly in a stream.

so I made a curv flow and now i want that the particles should self collide...

So what i thought is to emit a radial field from each particle..

Here's what i did:

Create emitter,
Create radial field,
select particleshape and radial field,
went to Fields>Use selected as source of field,

but the particles dont collide...

I want the particles to move in a stream so i cant increase the magnitude way too high....

ronviers
03-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Try it this way:
Select the particle then create the radial field - or just make sure the particle is using the radial field.
Then select the individual particles then Fields>Use selected.

videep
03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks for replying, but it still does not collide;

ronviers
03-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Just for purposes of diagnostics, try this:

create a polygon sphere
make it soft
select the particle and create a radial field
select the particles nodes particles and the radial field
do Fields>Use selected

To test if they are colliding, turn off conserve and set the magnitude of the field very high and the max distance to something that makes sense. The object could quickly become a new size.

Cheesestraws
03-22-2010, 08:09 PM
Turn on "Apply Per Vertex".

ronviers
03-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Seems to work either way.

videep
03-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Its still not working...m fed up...at this..... :banghead:

ronviers
03-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Definitely turn on apply per vertex.

efecto
03-22-2010, 09:05 PM
turn on "apply per vertex" like cheese said. Play with max distance and i typically tend to have attenuation set to near 0 or zero.

Aikiman
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Also make sure the field is connected to the particle using the Dynamics relationship editor.

videep
03-23-2010, 02:52 AM
ThankYou so much for replying but i am not able to get the particles to collide.. So i am attaching the file. If you get time, please check it.

Aikiman
03-23-2010, 03:04 AM
You setup is working, what exactly are you trying to achieve? How can your particles collide if their projection is away from each other anyway?

videep
03-23-2010, 04:05 AM
AKIMAN

Well this is not what i want.

actually i need pieces of cloth that are flying in a stream...

i am attaching a pic take a look at it...

actually i want to show that pieces of cloth are coming from some place but they are not
spread everywhere in the environment but they are in a stream...

the picture shows they are moving from Point A to Point B..
So i want the particles to self collide...

Aikiman
03-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Then I would use the curve flow effect so that your particles move from A to B or the volume curve field with the setup you already have. If you have nParticles that would be even better since that has inbuilt self collisions when turned on.

noticeus
03-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I agree with akiman,
use nparticles for self-collision and for the stream use a volumeCurveField or a volumeAxisField depending on how your stream should look like. you can even turn trap inside on to keep the particles inside the volume. you could even use ncloth if you want or need deforming cloth pieces.

colliding particles with radial fields works in my experience only if you use max distance instead of a volume on the radialField. maya seems not to use the volume of a field if applied as a per vertex field. but that's just my experience. could be wrong here :)

DDelapena
03-23-2010, 03:56 PM
nParticles would self collide yea, aikiman is right. Classic particles do not..it may give the appearance of colliding with apply per vertex on with the radial field..but it's not actually self colliding.

Aikiman
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
A side note if you are thinking about using nCloth. It wont work work if your try to instance nCloth to your particles, sure you can do it, but you wont get localized deformations per particle. One method is to create a whole lot of faces and combine them as a single nCloth then simulate.

videep
03-24-2010, 02:47 AM
ThankYou everyone....

@Akiman:

I tried instancing ncloth to the simple maya particles and they get instanced....

Aikiman
03-24-2010, 03:04 AM
yeah it works, but you'll get the same animation on each particle.

videep
03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Sorry to reply late, had some problems with the internet.....

nparticles work nice....ThankYou ALL.....

videep
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
@Akiman:

I dont think so.... actually i tried to make pieces of cloth and simulated them... so every piece has its own simulation.... i selected them all and instanced them to the particleshape and they have their own simulation as the animation in the particles...

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2010, 05:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.