PDA

View Full Version : March Animation Challenge || Jennifer Hathaway

J-Way
03-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Here is my preliminary playplast for this challenge. Comments are definitely welcome. What are your thoughts on the camera cuts? I am, personally, not sure about them. The first one and the two final cuts, I like, but I am not sure about the mid section of this scene. I still have quite a bit of work to do on the third place olympian and facial expressions.

Preliminary Playblast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnq51TyXToI)

Thanks guys :buttrock:
J-Way

ivanlancaster
03-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Hey Jennifer!

Nice start, very ambitious with 4 characters!!

I think the camera cuts are a little distracting, for me. The first one kinda breaks the 180-degree rule, and the very last one, i'm not quite sure what it was showing. Generally speaking, you don't really want a camera cut to happen while an important action is happening (such as the fall). I think you could make it a bit more simple with the first camera shot showing the podium with your main guy in the middle of screen. Then you could maybe cut to a low camera angle like a 'worms eye view' of the winner, then you see him bend down to receive the medal and he falls foward onto the ground. It would be good to be able to see his face as he hits the ground :)

It's going well, i like your idea! Catch you round. Good luck.

-i

Splinter
03-24-2010, 01:24 AM
I agree with ivanlancaster. His suggestions seem pretty solid. :)

J-Way
03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, I'll change my camera cuts before I post the final. Here is my new WIP, I still need to fix the camera angles.

NEW WIP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ofb7UYob9no)

For the final I'll add the worms eye view camera angle for the entire ending.

J-Way

ankheilw
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey J-Way,

I like where you are going with the animation, but you've got WAY too much movement for this stage in your animation. The characters seem to shuffle and jitter and that distracts from the animation as a whole.

Look for the "golden" poses in your shots. Pick 3-4 solid, definitive poses for your main character that tell the story of your shot. I would suggest the cheer, the smile down at the presenter, the bend and the fall as your poses. Make those look great, then fill in the secondary poses. Keep everything pose to pose until all of these look solid, then start adding the flourishes and small, subtle movements.

Keep it up and your animation will shine! Hope that helps.

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2010, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.