PDA

View Full Version : Normal maps projection in 3.5

AlexYaremchuk
03-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Hello
It might seem to be a basic question, but with the new release of zbrush 3.5 r3 I cant figure out how to project normal map from a high-res mesh to a retopologized one. There's this ProjectAll button in SubTool menu, but it seemingly doesnt do normal maps. And also I dont want to project ALL a the same time, I'd rather deal with nmaps separately. The same goes for details, displacement and polypaint.

If anyone would be so kind to explain what the trick I'd be very greatful, I've been struggling for days (^^) and there no in depth tutorials.

tin-tin
03-21-2010, 07:04 PM
I haven't found a solution to this either since they removed zmapper. You could use Xnormal.

Sphinxthelion
03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
can you load the if your retopologized mesh is the low rez version than can you load it, then load the high rez, reproject the geometry, and then store the lowest division level as a morph target and create a new normal map? Im a novice at Zbrush, but I think this might work if U can get the re-projecting part looking good, which is probably the hard part.

RichardMarklew
03-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Correct me if I have this wrong. Do you have an existing normal map that you want to project onto a mesh to create new geometry? If so, you cannot do this in 3.5

Richard

AlexYaremchuk
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Correct me if I have this wrong. Do you have an existing normal map that you want to project onto a mesh to create new geometry? If so, you cannot do this in 3.5

Richard

no-no, I nned to create a normal map from a detailed mesh

RichardMarklew
03-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Create UVs if you don't have any, select map size from Tools / UV Map palette, go to the lowest subdivision, then use the Tools / Normal Map palette. When created use Clone NM to transfer the map to the texture palette to be exported.
http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/Normal_Maps_in_3.5

Richard

AlexYaremchuk
03-21-2010, 08:00 PM
I haven't found a solution to this either since they removed zmapper. You could use Xnormal.

I've studied pixologic docs and they state that its not only possible but also more convenient in 3.5. shame they dont have a step by step there.

I've heard of xnormal, even have it downloaded but havet tried it yet. is it good? it surely would be better to have an normal maps in zbrush rather then learning a new interface.

RichardMarklew
03-21-2010, 08:13 PM
What part of the process I went through to create normal maps in zbrush 3.5 in my previous post can you not do.

tin-tin
03-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Yes Xnormal is very good as a baking tool. I haven't found a way to bake normal maps for game rez work in zbrush 3.5, for example the the hipoly model would consist of many subtools, where as the lowpoly would be a closed silhouette of the hipoly, there is no way to bake that in zbrush.

DoctorMonkeyFist
03-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Yeah. they say zmapper is obsolete.I find not. I really wish we could get an update for 3.5

cgbeige
03-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I do all my retopo and normal map projection in Topogun. you can import an OBJ base mesh if you change the scene type to OBJ when opening a scene.

AlexYaremchuk
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Thats what i've been trying to find out! If its's true it's sad, though its kinda hard to believe. Why making a new version inferior to the previous one...

Yes Xnormal is very good as a baking tool. I haven't found a way to bake normal maps for game rez work in zbrush 3.5, for example the the hipoly model would consist of many subtools, where as the lowpoly would be a closed silhouette of the hipoly, there is no way to bake that in zbrush.

CGTalk Moderation
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.