PDA

View Full Version : compositing

rvdtor
03-21-2010, 03:18 PM
i didn't really know where this would fit but i was wondering when you render images for animation what is the best file type to go with? which are better for quality and which ones are better for file size? also if there are transparencies involved and such?

mister3d
03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
For CG - EXR, either 32-float of half-float(16-but half-float, not just 16-bit!). It can save transparency. From my tests, PLZ compression is the most efficient, but perhaps if you have a very flat-shaded CG, you may be better with RLE, you should run a test. But I prefer PLZ, as I work with textured stuff.
http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4568/compr.jpg (http://img704.imageshack.us/i/compr.jpg/)
Half-float is used by many people, as it is already a very vast color and lighting range. For example, 8-bit images have only 256 grades, but 16-bit half float - I think will go to millions of gradations. And it cuts the size essentially.

DSW
03-21-2010, 10:16 PM
For CG - EXR, either 32-float of half-float
Completely agree.

sundialsvc4
04-09-2010, 11:53 PM
These file-formats are specifically designed for storing this sort of "in-process information." They store many layers of data, in a detailed floating-point data format, and if they use compression it is "loss-less." They're industry standard.

Don't be concerned about disk space. Enormous external hard-drives are cheap, even at a department store. What matters at this point is that you can store all of those distinct channels of information, in just one place, without losing or corrupting anything. And, you can interchange the files (again, without data loss) among any number of programs which all understand this format.

When you're completely finished, you've got a master-file in this format. Now, the final master is transcribed to one of the "visual" file formats, like JPG, in one step. And that's basically to be the only time that information is compressed, recoded or thrown away. The "visual" file isn't "the master" ... it's "a deliverable."

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2010, 11:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.