PDA

View Full Version : Nations to Develop Non-Windows Software

richcz3
09-05-2003, 10:49 PM
TOKYO (AP) - Japan, China and South Korea have agreed to cooperate in a project to boost research and development of software for operating systems other than industry leader Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s Windows, a Japanese trade ministry official said Friday.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20030905/D7TCEOSO2.html

Hmm Now that's a real interesting group that's getting together. Wonder if Taiwan is gonna factor into this somewhere? Just how the political undercurrent between them will effect its production.

richcz3

MCronin
09-05-2003, 11:09 PM
The tide is turning. Seems like there's a serious rebellion starting against MS. This is the second major blow to MS I've heard today, the first being IBMs massive national campaign for Linux during NFL games. What do you guys reckon MS is going to look like in 2010?

RobertoOrtiz
09-05-2003, 11:17 PM
I only say.
Never underestimate Bill.
There is a very good book called
"Fire in the Valley" that explains his mind set

richcz3
09-06-2003, 03:15 AM
Looks like Bill is already having a say..

"We'd like to see the market decide who the winners are in the software industry," said Tom Robertson, Microsoft's Tokyo-based director for government affairs in Asia. Microsoft prefers competition between software applications to be determined in the free markets rather than by government agencies.

and then...

Japanese media have reported that the government would spend 1 billion yen ($86 million) on the project and endorse an open-source forum Japan's electronics makers set up.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-5072069.html?tag=fd_top

You can read into that last line like this. A strong backbone to a new OS would be a better platform to produce it on. High end CPU, GPU, Memory and other component archtectures could be developed in Asia. They are already produced by several corporations in Japan. Sony most notably stands out. I'm keeping an eye open on that front. Sony is very proprietary.

Could Silicon Valley litteraly move to Eastward????

It's still too early to call, but I could see the OS being open but also geared for optimum performance on specified hardware. 1Billion Yen is bit of joke though. Something in that press release illustrates that this union is not on such a solid foundation. Considering Japan is the 2nd largest economy in the world.

richcz3

Peter Reynolds
09-06-2003, 03:50 AM
"Microsoft prefers competition between software applications to be determined in the free markets rather than by government agencies."

Hey, before computers became a "product", wasn't Silicon Valley funded mainly by Universities?

And I thought those universities were funded by Government at the time?

richcz3
09-06-2003, 04:00 AM
-so what goes around comes around-
-then our Silicon economy hasn't long to live
because these days it is far less prosperous-

How much doe sit cost to set up shop in Asia?
Anyone game?

richz3

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.