PDA

View Full Version : nDynamics fill object command not working.

bryantjcoffey
03-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Alright I create a poly cube, go to the ndynamics menu set then nParticles -> create nParticles -> Fill Object. Nothing happens. I uninstalled Maya 2010 as well as 3ds Max in hopes that the combination might be causing a problem and still nothing is happening. I tried the same combination on another computer and it worked just fine. Took down the active plug-ins and settings made them the same on my computer and it still did nothing. Tried all the other nParticle emitters/creators and they all worked. Every time I try to fill the object I get this message in the status box, which I would assume meant that it attempted to create it.

particleFill -rs 10 -maxX 1 -maxY 1 -maxZ 1 -minX 0 -minY 0 -minZ 0 -pd 1 -cp -dw;

The cube is selected as I'm doing this. Any thoughts/solutions? Let me know, thanks!

Bryant

Cheesestraws
03-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Did you try turning off double walled?

mishurov
03-19-2010, 10:41 AM
I think that it isn't software or hardware problem, perhaps, this is modeling problem or nParticles filling options.

Als
03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Check the units on your machine are set to centimeters.

Als

bryantjcoffey
03-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I tried enabling/disabling all of the options and changing the values in the fill object options and that didn't do the trick, including double walled. I'm not quite sure what quote from mishurov "I think that it isn't software or hardware problem, perhaps, this is modeling problem" is but if you elaborate I might be able to go more in depth. As of just a test it is a straight poly cube with a fill object command on it. I haven't checked to see if the units are in centimeters, and I'm not sure how to go about doing that. If you could give me a step by step on that that would be fantastic. If there's anything else I can say let me know, thanks for your quick responses.

Bryant

Duncan
03-19-2010, 06:32 PM
The units are "linear" in the prefs window under Settings. The default is cm, although I tried other values and they all worked OK for me.

Are you getting a particle system, just an empty one? Are you sure that particle display is enabled in your window?

A good test would be to temporarily rename your prefs something like oldPrefs then restart maya( you should be prompted to create new default prefs ). Something is definitely strange with your setup if the problem happens with default prefs.

Duncan

bryantjcoffey
03-20-2010, 05:58 AM
I don't even get a particle system in the outliner. Nothing happens except for that message in the status box that was previously posted. The strange thing about the particles is that all of the other particle options work, emit from object, create from emitter, etc. So the particles are definitely working just not the fill object command. When you ask to rename your prefs, how do you go about doing that. I am still new to Maya and some of these things I don't know how to do. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks.

Bryant

bryantjcoffey
03-20-2010, 04:25 PM
It works at my school with their Macs by turning off the double walled feature however, when I take it to my new Windows 7 computer at home and turn off the double wall it does the same as if the double walled checkbox is checked...A bug with 64-bit Windows 7 Maya? Anyone else having this issue?

P.S. -> it also works with their Windows XP old school windows machines running 2010...

bryantjcoffey
03-22-2010, 04:20 AM
So I reinstalled once again, turned off the double walled which I've done before and now it works. Thanks for everyone who said to turn it off before, that must've been what was happening but my install of Maya was having problems with it. Appreciate all of your help. Thanks again.

Bryant

Duncan
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I should have noticed the -dw (double walled) flag in your original post(cheesestraws even pointed that out). This will never create anything with a simple cube.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2010, 09:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.