PDA

View Full Version : Maya 2010 - maximum voxel resolution

battyonline
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
hi,
just wondering if people have found the maximum 'kilovoxel' resolution which maya 2010 is able to CACHE. I can use ~400 in one axis, but if i start upping resolution too far in other axis Maya cache conks out at frame 1.

Have people found a limit at all? is it in 1 axis, or 3 axis combined voxel count or something based on system RAM.

We're working with 8-12gb of RAM FYI.

cheers,
Romain.

destruct007
03-19-2010, 12:46 AM
its not maya 2010 but I think 2009 is the same. I maxed out at 82 million voxels, anything over that even a scripted change doesn't seem to change the rez.

my script to calculate voxel count is

//get scale attrs
string $fluids[] = `ls -type fluidShape`;
float $fluidW = `getAttr ($fluids[0] + ".dimensionsW")`;
float $fluidH = `getAttr ($fluids[0] + ".dimensionsH")`;
float $fluidD = `getAttr ($fluids[0] + ".dimensionsD")`;

//scale attrs
vector $fluidScale = <<$fluidW, $fluidH, $fluidD>>;

int $fluidRezMultiplier = 15;
vector $fluidRezMult = ( $fluidScale * $fluidRezMultiplier);
//resolution after multiplier
print ($fluidRezMult + "\n");
//total voxel count
string $totalVoxelss = (($fluidRezMult.x * $fluidRezMult.y * $fluidRezMult.z) + "\n" );
print ($fluidRezMultiplier + "x = " + $totalVoxelss);

//*** set it by hand if you want copy and paste results***
setAttr ($fluids[0] + ".resolution") 75 48 450;

its just rough code I use in the script editor to get total voxel count and rough multiplier for up-rezing. I know there are nicer ways to do this but I rather just do it like this.

destruct007
03-19-2010, 12:51 AM
oh and maya becomes completely unworkable getting even close to that. I find 20-40 million voxels to be the high end of what is still workable. Maya will start to chug on ever operation when there is an ubber hi rez fluid in the scene. which is why I was saying scripted changes. You even eventually don't want to even do anything other than uprez, sim, render.

Aikiman
03-19-2010, 03:44 AM
My humble mac dies with anything over 8mil voxels but that probably isnt saying much with only 4GB ram on 32bit software.

RingoStar
03-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Bear in mind how may grids you have:

density + heat + fuel + velocityX + velocityY + velocityZ + colorR + colorG + colorB + texX + texY + texZ = 13 grids * numberOfVoxels ...

That's quite some data !

destruct007
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
thats a good point for cache size. Vel, tex-co and color are vectors. You know, if your only rendering density for example, you can just cache density. All attrs will calculate but only density will cache. This will only save on cache file size and not max voxels you can sim. whatever is enabled will have to be stored in ram like RingoStar said.

Duncan
03-24-2010, 02:36 AM
Note that there was a bug in Maya2009 where one could not cache large fluids( I think resolution topped out at something like 130,130,130 when velocity grid was included in the cache ). This was fixed in service pack 1.

At any rate it is still a good idea to only cache the grids you need for rendering to limit the cache size.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
03-24-2010, 02:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.