PDA

View Full Version : Mac-system for AE?

TrueOG
03-18-2010, 10:50 PM
Hello everybody.

The company I work for is presently win-based. But in what it seems a not very much pondered question, my boss has started to talk about the chance to change the designers' stations to mac based systems (I think he's looking at some strange trendy related idea :D). Im not against mac at all, but I think that our pipeline is so firmly integrated in the win-systems that a change like this would bring pains that Im not eager to suffer.

Well, my pain is not a point for my boss, and he has asked me to prospect what mac-based systems would suit our needs. Frankly, I have no idea so Im asking for advice here.

Im posting her because we are using CS4 at the moment, with some seats devoted to After Effects for motion graphics. Not effects but some chroma keying and motion graphics. As I think that AE is the "monster" in the package it would be a good reference point.

So, which would be the mac system good enough to work with ease?

Not asking for the top-notch but for an average system that won't leave me hanging any other day.

Secretly, I hope that it will be a very much expensive upgrade so he will leave me alone, if you know what I mean :banghead:.

Regards

Darth Mole
03-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Well, the obvious answer is wait until June when the new Mac Pro systems are rumoured to be launched, then pick up a quad or 8-core system when people upgrade.

And wait until CS5 which will be 64-bit, then load that sucker with RAM.

TrueOG
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Thanks Darth, for your answer.
I think the quad range would do the job.
Now Im sure my boss will quit when he sees the budget.

Regards

CGTalk Moderation
03-21-2010, 09:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.