PDA

View Full Version : Exporting Painted Plants

shongu
03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
So I'm very new to vue, but my job needs me to create and export a desert scene with a few plants and rocks for use in 3DS Max. I created a texture using a desert and stone layer, then I painted on 2 different grasses, a busy and stones using the ecosystem type under the advanced material editor. I finally have it the way I want it to look. I exported it using the scene export, but it continued to crash at the quality level I needed. I then decided to do it piece by piece. I went to export my main terrain, the one that has the grass/bush/rock painted texture and when it gets to 3DS max it has none of plants I put on there.

Is there a certain exporting setting that needs to be use? I read something about baking the textures to terrain, but that only caused it to make the plants disapear in vue.

Any advice?

Wabe
03-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Direct to the right of the ecopainter icon you see another one - that let you manipulate the ecosystems. You there select the plants you want to convert and then select convert to objects that you find under "manipulate" in the same editor, just a bit lower.

But be careful, it means the benefits of ecosystems - instances and not "real" objects got lost so you can easily run into memory problems.

shongu
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
That seems to be working, but sadly the computer doesn't seem to be able to handle it. It freezes up and goes to not responding every time I try. One of my co workers recommended that maybe it's not that the plants aren't being sent over but that the textures aren't being applied like they should be. Could that have anything to do with it? If so is there a certain image file that is the painted on leaves?

Is there any recommendation to slowly convert each individual plannt instead of converting all 200000 at once?

Wabe
03-19-2010, 04:03 PM
When does the computer freeze? You can try to create a dummy object and switch that to wireframe box. Then do the conversion with the hope that "wireframe box" stays as setting so that your graphic card does not have to draw all the polygons and textures. And then export this.

But wouldn't it make sense to use XStream for a job like this? Then you have Vue completely INSIDE Max and you do not have to convert anything. Or do I oversee here something?

shongu
03-19-2010, 07:47 PM
It freezes about half way thru the meter representing the change from ecopaint to objects.

I actually did give running it in max a shot. The plants do render, though it does take awhile. So that seems to solve the plant issue, my new issue is when ever I save the max file and send it to another computer, it wont open then max crashes and asks if you want to send an error message. So I tried to open it again on my computer and the same mesage pops up. It seems like I can open it if I start from scratch, but if I save and try and re-open it then it fails.
My only theory is that I need to merge it so it's not attempting to take from the veo file and the max file at the same time.

shongu
03-19-2010, 07:51 PM
oh, and also, thanks a lot, you've been extremely helpful!

Wabe
03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Well, it looks like that your computer - any computer maybe - has problems with the amount of polygons/textures when converting bigger ecosystems to "real" objects. So you must find a workaround for this problem. Maybe rendering alpha planes and use this then in your Max scene. Or render elements and mix them together in postwork.

I am sorry regarding your Max problem I can not help. I am one of these old fashioned Vue users that does not have Max or other 3D applications to mix things. For me Vue is landscape generator and render engine, all comes together there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2010, 08:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.