PDA

View Full Version : Degree needed to be a level designer?

Vodka7up
03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Hi, this is my first post so If it's in the wrong place I apologize in advance.

I've been looking around level designer job openings and keeping find under the non essential requirements that a bachelor's degree or equivilant is desired. Exactly what kind of degree are they looking for (sorry if this is super obvious)? If they aren't looking for a specific degree, what would be some good ones?

Right now I'm a super noob when it comes to level design so I'm looking to get a degree that kinda synergizes with my independent studying of Unreal Engine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

SanjayChand
03-19-2010, 11:53 PM
From what I know, you arent going to get a level designer job with no experience. Usually people work up to that position.

gawl126
03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
https://jobs.ea.com/jobs/jobposting.aspx?postid=a0z50000000J6O8AAK

What skills does EA look for?

This is a popular entry level role, particularly for those not already qualified as an artist or programmer, and an excellent way to find out about the gaming business as a whole. There are no specific qualifications required for Testers, although some programming knowledge or experience is desirable. Testers must be analytical and methodical. Good English language skills (written and verbal) are necessary in order to document findings and communicate them to colleagues. IT competence, including use of spreadsheets and database packages, is also required. Above all, Testers must be avid games players. They must be able to demonstrate a detailed knowledge of the industry, including the different platforms, game styles, and genres. Itís important to know the market so they can evaluate our games against the competition.

They should also have an understanding of how games are put together, and how the different elements of a game contribute to the playing experience. A good Tester will not only identify and record a problem, but also try to work out what is causing it. Key skills for a Tester include excellent communication, especially the ability to communicate tactfully with other members of the team. Itís also important to have a good attention to detail, persistence, and patience. A Tester must be able to maintain concentration while playing games for long periods. Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills are very important, as of course is a passion for playing games.

Testers can progress into other roles such as level design, production management, or marketing, although to move into more specialized areas of game development typically requires an existing skill or aptitude such as 3D modeling or programming.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2010, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.