PDA

View Full Version : Tell me I'm the only one... Vue trashing files

electricphoto
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
After having Vue 8 Infinite trash my projects over and over I ran some tests. When I start a project I save the vue file, as I add to it I save it again. This is the normal workflow to ensure that you have reasonably current settings in your file should you crash or whatever.

On save number three, Vue zeros out my project file to a 4k file. Every time. I can start or open a project and on the third save it is emptied to a 4k file. It's repeatable. Every single time.

I am guessing that something got corrupted during the program install. Before I do a clean install and try and remove all the vue 8 infinite files can someone confirm that Vue does not actually destroy your files on the third save?

Other people have had this bug. It usually listed as "can't open corrupted file" which is the warning you get when you try to open the 4k file.

The good news is, the project is still intact, I just have to do a "save as" and check that I have a good file before closing.

Iv'e seen some weird bugs before but this one in major ugly.

Am I the only one to have this happen?

nPellegrino
03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
I hardly ever write to the same file, incremental saving is priceless in vue. Of course this will require hd space per scene, but there are a few ways to reduce file sizes.

1. Don't incorporate texture maps until you've reached the final version of the scene, (think this is actually related to the corruption as well.)

2. Take advantage of dynamic pop, populated ecosystems make for large files. If you haven't painted anything, this is a big helper. You can also clear out any populated ecosystems before saving, if they haven't been painted for editing, upon reloading the file you can populate while you work, then pop and save for the final.

About texture maps and the vue file browser:
I've had numerous crashes and corrupted files when texture maps are browsed from the OS or the load file option. Always a good idea to add any images as a collection and load from there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2010, 07:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.