PDA

View Full Version : Cartoon Tree lowpoly models

pioj
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Hi!

I've been put in charge to model some lowpoly trees like those seen on Mario Galaxy game, but I lack some knownledge.

I also am looking at some done at Battlefield Heroes game , as they are pretty colorful too..But I need to model the leaves by geometry, not billboards...

Could you guys teach give some clues about the way to do that? The trunks are easy to understand, the problem is with those damn sphere leaves...

thx a lot!

matsman
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
On mario trees:
Well... you could use some voxel or metaball technique to have a rather easy blobby result.
You could just boxmodel them... shouldn't be too hard, just make sure you don't have any hard angles... you could (but that would be rather messy) use a few spheres and intersect them via a boolean operation... lots of options really.

I find that uving those kind of shapes is usually the bulk of the work since you don't want any visible edges on a rather large multiple curved surface, but it is certainly doable with some consideration.

On battlefield trees:
These are made with(in) speedtree and are indeed billboard leaves overlapping and turing with the camera, it gives a rather nice effect with lots of detail, but I find them very recognizeable and bland.
Any artist can do better and make a tree wich is different from different viewing angles and has actual character or atmosphere.

Hope that helps!
good luck and show us your progress!

pioj
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
[Duplicated reply, deleted]

pioj
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
thx for reply.

I'm testing with booleans, attachs and also make them from scratch..

Boolean and Pro-Boolean gives me a better result, but as it leaves a lot of verts it eventually crashes my mesh.

Here's some tests:
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/5989/trees.jpg

matsman
03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Seems you are using max... try searching the help or the web for blobmesh... I'm sure that will do the trick!
It's max's native metaball technique, lots of stuff could be better, but it is rather easy to use and will make these kinds of shapes in a jiffy!

Greets!

PredatorGSR
03-21-2010, 06:58 PM
If you use booleans, you need to clean them up afterwards. You need to cut in edges and join verts so that all the shapes join into each other correctly and have only 3 or 4 sides.

pioj
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
thx a lot guys!

Actually, the blobmesh operator is giving me the best results. :thumbsup:

branches are now the target. I have to let the "player" jump on the trees, so I need to create some leaf-filled branches around the trees..

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2010, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.