PDA

View Full Version : Demon W.I.P

nick
01-16-2002, 08:46 AM
This is a work in progress of a demon i am currently working on, as you can see he has lost his head :) and his arms are still very low in detail, the body and legs are just about done though.
Its modelled and rendered in lightwave. Comments are more then welcome :)

http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GalleryImage127270.jpg

Enjoy

Check further down to see the new update!!!!!!

Kadde
01-16-2002, 10:17 AM
its looking very good.
i imagine that the neck hole will be larger, because
the creature is very strong.

keep up !

lildragon
01-16-2002, 10:20 AM
very solid, he looks nice so far, the neck *is* to small, but this bulky demon will be one to recon with ;), I can just picture this dood with a warhammer, or a nice huge axe dragging across the floor, very nice design... is it for anything in particular?

nick
01-16-2002, 10:40 AM
thanks for the comments and crit :)

lildragon - yup the neck will be thicker, i was thinking about giving him an axe or maybe something like a mace, but i like the thought of a huge warhammer hmmm i might just do that, thanks lildragon. i am not modelling him for anything really. Im just having abit fun relaxing, i wish i could do proper character rigging though i would love to animate him, but i always have problems with ik :(

lildragon
01-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Since you're using LW, ever considered Messiah? how is the IK setups in the current version of LW?

Jimmy
01-16-2002, 03:26 PM
Lil dragon

LW's (7) IK in my opinion isn't very good. but that is just my opinion. It may be better than previous versions...but i never used anything pre 7.

Maya's IK solution is much better...faster too. Its also 3* as much $.

I still have yet to try Messiah. actually i am reading the manual this very moment.

-J

Jimmy
01-16-2002, 03:34 PM
your model is nice. I think he looks very stalky. I think he would look a little better if he was longer. Longer legs...thinner torso...thicker back.....almost slouching.

maybe even a ragged cloth covering his....dare i say....privates...that way in animation you could have some dynamic movement. ie...cloth sim.

i also see this character hairy...have you thought about using Fur?

does he have a tail? i think a tail would look cool on him. like a cow tail....small with a little fur at the end.

just ideas......your work is still very good.

-J

nick
01-16-2002, 03:59 PM
Lildragon- I havent used lw 7's ik yet, i have heard alot about Messiah but i havent used it yet.

Jimmy- thanks for the critique, the ragged cloth is what i had planned for this guy, but i want to keep him short chubby but built like a powerhouse. I have thought about fur but i dont own sasqautch and the lite version isnt up to the job. He hasnt got a tail yet but that maybe added.

cerreto
01-16-2002, 05:00 PM
HEY HE IS LOOKING COOL SO FAR ! REALLYLIKE THE LIGHTING ON THE SECOND PIC IF YOU STILL HAVE MY E mail fire one my way like to talk about lighting and the texturing goingon in the xecond pic ! good work !

btw sorry for the caps

Pentagramma
01-16-2002, 11:30 PM
Wow! Great model so far! :)

He reminds me of some Ray Harryhausen character... very powerful. I really like those goat legs.

What are you planning for his head?

ACFred
01-16-2002, 11:52 PM
That model is looking slick! I agree with Pentagramma about it fitting into the Harryhausen mold, especially his later work.

Don't change the proportions! It's great. I've seen so many minotaurs/demons with skinny lower legs and big upper torso. Seeing a nice stalky, tank of a figure is a nice change of pace.
I can feel the ground shaking as his hooves penetrate into the plane of men.

Keep up the good work. Relax some more.....model his head.

Alec

nick
01-17-2002, 07:47 AM
hey trav good to see your a mod now :) the lighting is just a hdri lit scene with one spotlight and a small amount of photoshop work to change the colours and tones slighty on the 2nd image. Nothing special or complicated about it.

Pentagramma- im not really sure what im going to do about his head yet, well i am inspired by alot of work by Ray Harryhausen he has some great creatures in his movies, along with the hilderbrendt brothers, boris vallejo and julie bell probably are placed up there for inspiration to.

ACFred- yup dont worry i will be relaxing some more just to finish this model :) i dont think i will change proportions on him.

Thanks again for the comments guys

Konyn
01-17-2002, 06:55 PM
Noooooo!
not another headless demon with goat legs and a hipchain :p

nice model.

nick
01-18-2002, 08:33 AM
new update on my demon model. Arms are still being worked on. Next update will hopefully be textured and he will have a head :)

http://www.renderosity.com/photos/GalleryImage128144.jpg

lildragon
01-18-2002, 09:37 AM
Man this is an inspiration for me.... I most defiantely going to model some from of medieval like creature now.... where do you get your references? or do you just draw from mind? Cause man I searched and searched for references

nick
01-18-2002, 09:47 AM
Lildragon I just modelled from an idea i had stuck in my head, the only refence i used is some anatomy stuff i am using for the muscles in the arms im still defining the shapes of the bicep and triceps.

pabbloz
01-19-2002, 11:29 AM
Great! It's fantastic!
Only some things:
-I would put it a navel and nipples.
-The cloth is not very real... it hasn't got real gravity I think because in its final part is rounded to inside. (difficult to explain when someone not speak english :confused: )

where is his hammer? :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 12:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.