PDA

View Full Version : Enveloping with limitation

velesius
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi! I have some question about enveloping (skining) character, hope you can help me. I'm character artist, my work include creation rather simple skin for low-poly game characters. Until now everything was fine, and my knowledge in skinning was enough, but my last character include about 80 bones. With game engine limitation not more than 4 bones per vertex it's hard to skin it well enough (especially coat's bottom part). I know that limit can be set in the weight editor. But after using smoothing (or smooth brush) for points weights points lose that limitation, and i must again and again come back to weight editor to set limit back to 4. So my question

- is there any possibility somewhere once set up limit of the number of deformers per point , work with all weighting tools (especially smoothing) and that limit must be unchangeable?
And the second question

- what is the best way to copy points weight between close points. For example, i made skin for the outer points of the coat's bottom part. How i can quickly copy weights to corresponding points of the coat's inner part?
Hope my questions are understandable. Sorry for bad english)
Thanks.

Jettatore
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Weight as usual, use the enforce limit to "clean up" the initial results. Then lock the value of 0.0 weights (the ones that you do not want to be used), so that they don't get added once you've properly set up your enforce limits. Now with the proper locks in place, all of your tools should behave better.

Here's a tip I figured out with the above in mind to make freezing the 0.0 weights quick. Select all of your weights and freeze everything. Then turn on the "filter" button in the weight editor. Then go back into your viewport, reselect all the points again, and then back in the weight editor, because the filter is on, only the points you want unlocked will be selected, unlock these points.

velesius
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, man!:beer:
You save few days of my work! No words, just compliments!
Some ideas about my secon question? Maybe script. Can't believe everyone skin double-sided objects manually.

Jettatore
03-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Thanks, man!:beer:
You save few days of my work! No words, just compliments!

That might just get me through the day with a smile. Cheers. No idea on the second question. Good luck.

Sil3
03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
- what is the best way to copy points weight between close points. For example, i made skin for the outer points of the coat's bottom part. How i can quickly copy weights to corresponding points of the coat's inner part?
Hope my questions are understandable. Sorry for bad english)
Thanks.

Try it with Gator:

- Extract the entire Coat and make a new Object and freeze it (keep the envelopes)

- Extract the Coats Inner part as a new Object and freeze it also.

- Apply Gator to the Inner Coat to copy the Envelope Info from the Outer Coat, it should copy everything OK.

- Select Outer and Inner Coat objects and merge them and don't forget to free so you can delete the extra parts no longer needed.

Everything should be properly weighted like you wanted it to :)

By the way this is a nice way to have a properly distributed Weight Envelopes on a more complex mesh, you can Weight a simple Cube and then transfer the Weights with Gator, doesn't work for everything but it works for some things :)

velesius
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Wow! I didn't use Gator before. I'll try your instructions after I get to XSI. Hope it will help. Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2010, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.