PDA

View Full Version : Demoreel 2010 - Character Modeling/Texturing/Rigging/Scripting/Animation/Cutscenes

Gräck
03-17-2010, 10:54 AM
Hi there,

finally I had the time to put together a compilation of some of the best things I did for the last few years at Deck13. I'm mainly a character animator, but I'm doing character models, textures, rigging and scripting too. I had a nice chance to do some quite interesting rig setups for the boss monsters in Venetica (Action-RPG for PC/Xbox360) that I'm showing in this reel. In the middle part I'm presenting a script that automatically creates tentacle motion. And there are some funny things at the end too. :-) By the way, I want to mention that I'm using CAT for all of my rigs and animations since this great tool came out in 2005.

I've split the video into different parts:

- Rigging & Animation
- Modeling & Texturing
- Artwork & Lighting
- Tools & Scripting
- Cutscenes & More

So this is why the video is 8min 46sec. There is a lot to see... ;-) I hope this will not keep you off from looking into it. :-)

Here's the link:

www.graeck.de/showroom/Demoreel2010_GregorWeiss_720x480.wmv (http://www.graeck.de/showroom/Demoreel2010_GregorWeiss_720x480.wmv) (ca. 110 MB)

And a low quality version:

www.graeck.de/showroom/Demoreel2010_GregorWeiss_360x240.wmv (http://www.graeck.de/showroom/Demoreel2010_GregorWeiss_360x240.wmv) (ca. 30 MB)

Have fun and thanks for taking the time!

Gräck
03-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Wow, 167 views and no comment :-(

Ok here's a little peek ;-)

http://www.graeck.de/showroom/Demoreel2010_preview.jpg

JackEbensteiner
03-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Hey, you've got some awesome work! I thought a lot of the rigging and modeling was great :) I was particularly impressed with the plant/tentacle rig at the very beginning. That and I really liked how you had some creatures that moved in really unique ways. So great work on those. I think that some of the animation could use a bit more weight. The big red guy and the warrior with the two axes I think seem like they need to be a bit heavier. Especially the former. The little girl's animations I thought were pretty successful.

Overall, it's great work! I think that the reel is too long. Instead of showing all of the work in one reel, maybe you could make a reel for rigging, a reel for animation, one for modeling etc. That way, you have a number of reels and the length of them all is manageable. Good stuff!

Gräck
03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Thank you for your feedback!

The warrior needed to be quick fighter, that was a relevant task for the prototype he was built for, but maybe then you're right and he is not the right guy for it ;-)

I agree about the Boss Persian Monster (the big red guy) though. I thought the weight should come up with his big arm that "falls" onto the ground. He is very asymmetrical, so maybe there is a completely different way how he should walk. I thought it was a quite interesting walk anyways. ;-)

Yes, creatures are often the easiest to animate. ;-) Oh I remember I have another creature here that actually should be added... well that would increase the length of the video even more, but I think I can shorten it in other parts.

Good idea about the reel seperation! I will think about it...

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2010, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.