PDA

View Full Version : Rigged but without skin weight..

TBone2008
03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
I got this unusual case where as the skin bind yet the component editor (and the paint weight tool) show no weights values.
what could possibly be a reason for it ?

Darksuit
03-17-2010, 05:19 PM
the most common reasons
No skin clusters.
Not in correct mode. (Object mode for Painting, Component Mode for Vertex Information)
While yes you can certianly do weight painting for Sub-D and Nurbs Surfaces, its not that great.

TBone2008
03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
thanks, but I checked and it's not the component selection mode.
other models inteh rig are selctable and their weights can be seen or painted on. wierd.

Darksuit
03-19-2010, 03:59 PM
Your best bet at this point would be to attempt to reduce the number of variables.

If other elements in the scene can be wieghted and its just the one object, or is it all object in that scene.

Can you open a previously working file from some one else or something from online and have that work.

Can you export the object that is having issues (using export selected object / save as .ma/.mb) and see if its still having the issue.

Basically try to see if its the single object, scene, settings/preferences, or your comp.

If it is working at school but not at home, that speaks to the problem being more of a settings issue.

Though it does remind me of the time when one of the students in the Mac Lab accidentally hit "+++" which is not really documented anywhere.

joel3d
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Can you post a .jpg screen capture showing the Channel box with the skin geo selected?

What type of skin cluster is it?

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2010, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.