PDA

View Full Version : Discreet moves discretly to Linux

Amyd
09-05-2003, 09:31 AM
Discreet Launches First High-End Online Editing System for the Linux Operating System (http://www1.discreet.com/SITE/PressN.nsf/5245eec90119c9cc852566a6005884a4/056264e7f7686c4a85256d97006e550d).

So finally, we have Smoke on Linux, on normal workstation-level hardware. It is a pretty interesting - though of course not unexpected - development. Unfortunately only SD-only at this stage...

Cheers,
Andrei

xsisx
09-05-2003, 11:25 AM
yuppie!!!

now combustion & flame please! or was it toxik? :p

mattregnier
09-05-2003, 03:23 PM
Max on linux??? They need to get moving on that :)

CreatureseEtc
09-05-2003, 04:08 PM
mattregnier Max on linux??? They need to get moving on that

Totally agree with you.
Yo, discreet people! Any chance we'll see max on linux soon !???

MonkeyNinja
09-05-2003, 05:43 PM
Probably not Smoke, Flame, Flint and such products are all developed for IRIX I think so porting it to Linux is not really all that difficult.

Max is 100% pure NT veggie madness so i'd imagine porting it to Linux would be HELL!

Although the time has really come for a rewrite of Max and it would be kewl if it was written from the ground up to run on NT, IRIX, OSX and Linux :D

leuey
09-05-2003, 07:50 PM
Here's my question. Will we have to buy a 'special' linux boxx from discreet as well as their 'stone arrays'. Are are we going to be able to build our own box in compliance with some sort of 'approved specifications' as well as a 3rd party raid?

My feeling is you will be buying the linux turnkey system from discreet and I don't really see why they would bother to sell it at a lower price than their Irix system (which they're going to continue selling as well).

What's the benefit of linux if it's not cheaper? (maybe a little faster, we'll have to wait and see).

I love smoke - but it's the **software** that's so valuable, but all their margins are marking up hardware :(

later,

Greg

xsisx
09-05-2003, 09:10 PM
lots of studios have a linux-pipeline. so they wouldn't need to buy a sgi, if they could run also their other tools on linux aside smoke.

a very important move from discreet.

Amyd
09-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by leuey
My feeling is you will be buying the linux turnkey system from discreet and I don't really see why they would bother to sell it at a lower price than their Irix system (which they're going to continue selling as well).

What's the benefit of linux if it's not cheaper? (maybe a little faster, we'll have to wait and see).

My guess would be no third-party unapproved turn-key systems.

However, if you read carefully the press release I linked above, you'll see that it also talks about "new pricing", which means that smoke will now sell cheaper, including the SGI version (the other FFI line-up has already been discounted heavily earlier this year). The Linux version is also cheaper again, because it can only do SD (Standard Definition) editing, while the terzo SGI system can do also HD (High Definition).

So discreet can still sell some SGIs, but test the Linux world as well. If it takes off, I am sure we will see flame being ported next, and *that* will be a very sweet day indeed.

Cheers,
Andrei

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.