PDA

View Full Version : Auto hose movement with robot leg

swarmski
03-16-2010, 01:28 AM
Hi guys,

Ive been trying to find some info on the net how to do this but im getting stuck.

If you look at the attached pic you will see my robots right leg with 2 hose parts connecting to the pelvis. Ideally when the leg moves, i want the hose parts to react to the movement, sway, stretch etc.

Im thinking contraints but i have nfi what to do.

Any tips?

http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4271/leg.jpg

Darksuit
03-16-2010, 02:22 PM
there are a couple different ways to do this. It really all depends on the end result that you are attempting to achieve.

How much setup time do you have?
If you have a lot of time you can do a dynamic solution that will get the hose to jiggle and sway and such when moved.
If you don't have a lot of time you can do a lattice or joint setup that will mimic the effects but will have to be hand animated.

The dynamics will take longer to setup and will need to be cached. It also will not generally work for a number of game engines. While the Joint or Latice Setup is faster to do setup wise. It will take a bit of work to finesse to look just right. But may provide the additional control you want to look more realistic.

Just becuase something moves right doesn't mean that it will look right.

KielFiggins
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I plan on doing something similar (robot with tubes for secondary motion), here my approach:

-StretchyIK spline using my buddies script: http://stevenkalinowski.com/scripts.html
This will allow for hand animation, once you put clusters onto the spline's curve

-That same spline curve duplicated and turned into a hair follicle with dual pinning.
This will allow for the curve to be simmed, to see if the initial motion can be done with dynamics

-Output curve. Hair spline and StretchyIK spline are blend shape driving a final output curve which has the joints riding on it

The goal for this setup would be to sim the first round, see whats usable, and then be able to polish or redo by hand.

We'll see if it works. Definitly keep us posted on your own findings!

swarmski
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Its a lot to take in as im a newbie lol

I like the sound of your approach Kiel, although 90% of it is over my head lol.

Are there any good tutorials that may help me with either your approach or the lattice approach?

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2010, 11:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.