PDA

View Full Version : Game character - where do you make your basemesh?

wannabeArtist
03-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi,

I'm quite new to Zbrush - just getting a hang of the brushes, and I'm planning to start my first actual project with it next.

I'm thinking of a sort of game character, which would then be animated in max, but I'm a little puzzled in where I should make the base mesh. I thought that people make the base mesh in Max/Maya and then sculpt details in ZBrush, but I was just watching a video at Gnomon Workshop, where the instructor did the exact opposite!

So, which workflow is recommended and most used and will it mater when I start to rig and animate the character? I feel tempted to do it in this "reverse" order, so I could use ZSpheres too, but will I be shooting myself in the foot by going that way? :)

Thanks!

mattlev6
03-15-2010, 05:54 PM
i used to always make my base mesh in maya, then move to zbrush for detailing. but recently, i've been starting in zbrush and staying there until the model is finished. just keep in mind that you will have to retopologize your mesh before you export so you'll have all the necessary edge loops and so on that you need to ensure that the model will deform smoothly when you're weighting and rigging.

wannabeArtist
03-15-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the reply!

So, do you use ZSpheres for blocking out your mesh when you start in ZBrush?

It seems like a really great feature, but I haven't really considered using it before - I really thought the base mesh is "supposed" to be done in Max/Maya, before today :)

mattlev6
03-15-2010, 07:05 PM
if it's going to be one piece, i'll often use zspheres, but a lot of the time i end up using lots of polyspheres as subtools and cloning and mirroring them as necessary.

wannabeArtist
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
Alright, thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2010, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.