PDA

View Full Version : Splitting One Model into multiple subtools?

lilcasper
03-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Is is possible to split a single polymesh model into multiple pieces in zbrush texture/sculpt it, uv map it and bring it back into the 3D program (softimage) as one piece.
Sorry if this is a stupid/weird question. Thanks in advance!

eldany
03-15-2010, 12:08 PM
yes.
Make different polygroups and then select subtools--> groups split.
It splits your model into several subtools based on polygroups.

If your model has different elements just go to polygroups/auto groups
and then go to group split. Zbrush creates subtools based on elements.

when you want to merge all the stuff again just make every subtool visible and pick
subtool--> merge visible and zbrush will create a NEW tool with all the stuff together again.
In merge visible you have and optional tag for weld vertexs.

Warning: When you merge visibles you will lose sublevels and the merged new tool is created
with every subtool at the current level.

Hope it helps.

lilcasper
03-15-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks! The only problem I have with this is having to bring the model back to the lowest subdivision to create a normal map. Can I do this, create the normal maps while its still subtooled, merge it, then bring it back into softimage? Will the UVs still be there? The only reason I ask this is my computer cant handle dividing the whole model above 6-7 divisions, but by breaking it up and hiding/masking other pieces my computer handles it alot better.

eldany
03-15-2010, 03:59 PM
mmm...you could try this:

Split your tool and tweak all the model...
then append the lowres model as subtool and add the divisions you want...
then with all the other pieces visible select the model you appended and hit subtool/Project all... this way the model will aquire the details projected from the other pieces.

Hope it helps.

lilcasper
03-15-2010, 06:47 PM
I will give this a try, thanks for the help!

MisterS
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Maybe prior to merging your sub tools back together you could use dicimation master to reduce the poly count of each of your tools to a manageable number - ensuring you select the option in decimation mater that leaves the edges of your tools alone. Then merge/weld them all together.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.