PDA

View Full Version : compilation - car crash visualization for tv show

goin
03-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi, I just finished my compilation of animations for a tv show we are working for.

"Schneller als die Polizei" erlaubt is a TV format aired by VOX, showing a special police unit going after speeders, tailgaters and rowdys on the german autobahn. 3D visualizations, based on an experts view explain what the risks are and what dangerous situations can evolve from such irresponsible behavior.

For understanding purposes I might add that since it's a tv show we have some restrictions that doesn't allow for really movie like effects, - as well as the time restrictions. We have it running as a one man job taking two days to complete one show.

As for tech specs: Animation time for a show is about 20 secs, cars are from a library (no time to build them in the given time), modeled and animated in Maya, rendered with Renderman for Maya, comped in Shake, rendertime for a whole show is about 18 hours on a single machine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVGcJPG61-Y

Enjoy :-)

Cheers, Ingo

degm3ister
03-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I like it overall, one crit that I have is once a car rolls over it will keep rolling most of the time (atleast if the speed is highway 100 km/h + ) but other then that very illustrative!

Costa3Dart
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
well done man
nice result for the time you spent building it

goin
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Thanks mates for the comments. I appreciate it.

I like it overall, one crit that I have is once a car rolls over it will keep rolling most of the time (atleast if the speed is highway 100 km/h + ) but other then that very illustrative!

I guess there is always room to improvement. Partly it's based on some calculations from an expert and of course the reality has to get stretched a little from time to time because it's TV.
But I don't want to duck here... :-) Mostly it's the time restriction that keeps us from going too crazy with the cars. As always with these things there is hardly an end to it...

Thanks and cheers, Ingo

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.