PDA

View Full Version : First flash site

tdmack
09-05-2003, 02:23 AM
Just completed my first flash site for a school project thought i would post it here and get some opinions. Was trying to go for a more organic feel.

Site here (http://members.shaw.ca/troydmack/)

marchermann
09-07-2003, 06:09 PM
Mmmh, I like it. Two things: Transitions could be a bit faster and I am not too happy with the "drag to folder" thing in the portfolio. What's the point in that?

Marc

robotsrsupreme
09-08-2003, 08:22 AM
i think your site is very unique i like your transitions alot, very nice seeing that its your first flash site. i do agree about the dragging to the folder thing, it is confusing at first and seems like extra work for the user.

milah
09-08-2003, 08:16 PM
Nice site, I like it. Great Concept :thumbsup:

I got a couple critiques/ideas:
In the digital section (painted grapes and invisible man), the text does not show all the way (it is too long for the screen). I suggest you wrap the text so it is easier to read.

An idea, instead of the using a simple color for the image backgrounds, how about creating an organic background with leaves or bugs. It would help tie in the theme.

FluKe73
09-08-2003, 11:22 PM
I run in 1024x768, and think about that in general. Designers often tend to run in higher resolutions than the regular users.

klingspor
09-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Let me state upfront that I am usually pretty much an anti-flash person... but your site is a breath of fresh air amidst the boring, uninspired, MTV-look flashsites I try to avoid every day!

Just some little things for you to consider:
- I'd center the site in the middle of the screen
- the auto-scrolling text fields are awkward... make them more like standard textfields
- maybe find another colour for the yellow boxes around the text... it doesn't really fit in the way it is

Anyway, nice site you have there, maybe the prettiest I've ever seen in Flash :thumbsup:

Haifisch
09-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Wonderful site, just fix that type and your good to go. I am a flash noob, but a designer, and I really enjoy what you have done. -hf
p.s. how much action scripting did you use?

tdmack
09-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys for all the comments. I am fixing the text. And am considering some colour changes and fixingg the transitions a bit more. I totally agree about the drag folder thing, i don't really like it. It was more or less a see if i could figure out how to do it type thing.

Haifisch: i used quite a bit of scripting to get it to work.

Michael Chen
09-13-2003, 01:43 AM
Nice :)

I like it :thumbsup:

You could try increasing the frame rate (fps to about 24). Thus the transitions seem to move faster.

Considering this is your first flash site, I think you did a pretty awesome job of it. You idea is just so original :D

Heimdall
09-15-2003, 10:36 PM
I'd have to agree with the "why do you have to drag an icon to the folder" crit-

Instead, Make your Icons look like "seeds" and drop them into a pot or dirt to bring up your Portfolio shots. Or something like that.

Heck, you could even shape your icons a like human limbs and feed them to a Venus fly trap to to bring up a portflio shot.

Maybe that would keep in step with your tree growing theme (which is pretty cool and well executed/animated).

-Heimdall

ionanism
09-16-2003, 09:35 AM
Nice site, it is a nice departure from the high-tech look you see everywhere. You also have some nice work too.

Ok …I have got a few things add:

You defiantly need to add some loading screens, when I navigate around between page to page all I get is your blank background. That’s probably not a problem for people with high speed internet (I have dialup)… you need to design for the lowest common denominator.

Again…I like to see some form of a loader in the portfolio section…when I first dragged the icon to the folder I had no idea if it worked or not.

In the character concept sketch gallery, you should make the last right button on the last picture disappear, because there is no more pictures to see and all you have there is a button that doesn’t do anything, it would also let the user know that he they have reached the end if there is no button there.

I think all the other things I have noticed have already been pointed out.

Nice work

The server that my own flash site is on seems to be down, so if you click on the link below you wont get anything…unless its up again and then this is a waste of text, space, and time.

Aelius
09-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Sorry to be the one to do this, but you might want to take a look at this (http://www.juxtinteractive.com) . You need some ideas of your own, man!:shrug:

AirbORn
09-20-2003, 06:54 AM
Very nice site. It has a unique feel to it. I love the transitions and colour scheme.

Two things I believe you should work on is the drag and drop navigation in the portfolio section and the other is more of a design thing, the way the scrolling works when you place the mouse over the text doesn't seem to suit the feel of your site. The scrolling moves to fast and at times it's hard to navigate.

Over all I give your site 4 out of 5 lightbulds. :lightbulb :lightbulb :lightbulb :lightbulb

Great site!!!

tdmack
09-25-2003, 03:23 AM
Thanks for your suggestions and comments guys. I have updated a few things. Got rid of the auto scroll text. fixed some buttons. Sped up some of the transitions. Centered it in the middle of the screen. Got ride of the drag and drop thing although i don't really like the whole seed idea either need to make this better somehow. Any suggestions? Also made a splash page. I would like the flash page to open up in a window with no menu and tool bars and the same size as the flash movie. Anyone know how to do this?

ionanism - sorry not going to put any preloaders in as i feel they are distracting. Everything in the site is designed to be under 50k. To help eliminate the need for them. And as it is a flash site is really meant for broadband.

Anyways thanks for the help guys.

JayMan2889
09-25-2003, 05:31 AM
have u givin credit to the ppl who made the sound on the rollovers from Natural Selection? :)

tdmack
09-25-2003, 06:43 AM
Who's Natural Selection?

And the credit for the sounds go to Peter Brusso and Nick Rossi. All these sound were downloaded from flashkit

Pent
09-26-2003, 03:33 AM
I can see the square around the butterfly animation
fix it

and btw Aelius
it looks simular but isn't the SAME as that site you posted, keep your mouth shut next time you want to tell some poor guy he copyed from another site.
why do you care if he did or didn't anyway.

Aelius
09-26-2003, 11:39 AM
I did not say it was the same, Pent, and this is a forum for public commentary so no, I won't keep my mouth shut. This is a critique forum, so I give what critique I can, whether you agree with me or not.

I noticed a similarity in the design and function that I thought was too close for comfort. It was my opinion, nothing more. If you can't take that, go elsewhere.

BTW tdmack: The portfolio looks much better now with the seeds. Somehow the drag and drop didn't suit the organic feel of the rest of the site. One suggestion I do have (if it's welcome) is maybe you could have the seeds come out on the ends of stalks or flower head or something? As though they're growing out of the main tree?

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.