PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on how to improve this rendering

DanConnor
03-13-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm using 3ds max and mental ray. This is mostly A&D materials. I ran a separate ambient occlusion pass and composited it in photoshop. There's also a blurred specular pass, but it isn't really doing much.

There is skylight, mr spotlight and a blue omni, all supplying varying amounts of lighting, and FG.

I don't really know what I'm looking for- I just want it to look awesome and it doesn't. What would you do if it was your scene? Suggestions???

MikeBracken
03-13-2010, 08:18 PM
I think a little more contrast in the shadowy areas would help. It seems a liitle to evenly lit.

Nice image though.

Regards,
Mike

DanConnor
03-13-2010, 10:25 PM
I guess it's improving...

mister3d
03-13-2010, 10:31 PM
Make the main lighting as it was, but cut the fill lighting (the sky), making it less bright. Now the detail on the right has blended with the sky, it should have more readability. The highlights are overbright, that what you should avoid usually. Maybe play with reflections, so that it enhance the form.

zmuh11
03-14-2010, 06:03 AM
I think that a halfway point between the two images you have now would be a winner.

Looks awesome,

Zach

jtvergarav
03-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Looks cool man ;)

to improve it I'd also recommend playing with the reflections to catch more volume.

and I'd try a few other things:

I feel like you have the default light on, or you have a light facing the same way your camera is.

Maybe you could try some area lights, some panels with ramps to reflect.

Also you could try getting some references of products with more of a "design" style, so you can get an idea what treatment they give to the light, material, etc.

finally I recommend you to google some studio lighting techniques and try them in CG. That has helped me a lot.

azazel
03-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Are you using any exposure control/color mapping? It'd help with those big, very white, overexposed highlights on the second one. Also, you could add a bit of a rimlight on the left to separate the propeller from the background.

patrickrowan
03-22-2010, 01:44 AM
its over lit and looking flat because of you light direction. play around with the direction and try get the main key light to cast as much form as possible.try back lighting it. or put it either near side left or right of the camera.turn off the other lights and make sure each one is adding to the scene. unfortunately adding a daylight system and turning on final gather doesn't mean nice lighting. you are close but its the final 10% and understanding it that will make it look great.

DanConnor
03-22-2010, 02:38 AM
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions- I am first going to work with better light directions. The main light is in fact pretty close to the camera, and I think a rimlight would be good to try also. I've been called off on other tasks; hope to be back to this shortly...

CGTalk Moderation
03-22-2010, 02:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.