PDA

View Full Version : Only the editor

jden
03-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Hello,
I wonder if the game engine that comes with a level editor can be changed?
For example, the Unreal Engine 3 follows the Editor, are they inseparable?

wolfSage
03-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Unreal 3 Editor and the Unreal Development Kit (UDK) are two different things.

The Unreal Editor comes with Unreal Tournament 3 and is a cut down version of the engine used by epic to make the game. The editor is designed so you can make levels and content to use within Unreal Tournament 3

UDK is as far as I know the full Unreal engine. You can use this to make any independent stand alone games from FPS to platform to top down racing etc. Check out Whizzle (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/udk.html) which is an underwater side scroller created using the UDK

Hope that answers your question..

jden
03-13-2010, 04:02 PM
So, if I use the UDK editor(?) from Unreal, I have to use the Unreal Engine,
the Hammer editor the Source engine, and sandbox the Cryengine?

wolfSage
03-13-2010, 05:00 PM
Kind of... I think you need to research into the difference between the Unreal editor and UDK
As I said before they are designed for different uses and outputs.
These websites may help you:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Main/WebHome.html
http://forums.epicgames.com/

matsman
03-15-2010, 06:55 AM
So, if I use the UDK editor(?) from Unreal, I have to use the Unreal Engine,
the Hammer editor the Source engine, and sandbox the Cryengine?

Pretty much yeah... you see the companies that actually develop those engines are making something that will show real time 3d... so every view port in those editors make use of the engine... than they make a game and artists and lighters and animators come complaining to the boss that there is too much programming involved for them to do their job and the engine coders make animation tools, shader interfaces and all kinds of other stuff that you see in the engine to make the whole process of actually making a game simpler and quicker. which eventually leads to a decrease in cost. And your engine is far more interesting for others to use since it will help them bring costs down too.

So point is yes engine and editor are inseparable and not only that, they are greatly intertwined and optimised too, so even if someone would make an editor for say multiple engines you could switch between it would not be a very fast and efficient method. The only plus from that would be that it would take less time to learn the interface... but since most editors are somewhat alike and one would only need one engine at a time... that has not been so much of a problem.

Even max, maya, blender as examples have graphical and scripting engines behind them that is more or less inseparable from the interface.

Hope that suffices but why the question?

jden
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.
However, I was thinking about to learn how to create an engine for more control. But making an editor also may be too much, now that I cannot use any existing editor.

matsman
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Ah interesting...

As far as I know it is perfectly possible to add to an engine and therefore its editor. So not all hope would have to be abandoned on that idea.

with Unreal for example comes unreal script that has endless features one of them being to add options to the editor (my run in with that was with unreal ed. 2, but I am sure it is still very much possible, look what they did with light-mass for mirror's edge)

And even if you can't get your hands on one of the big engines to play around with the blender game engine and ogre are open source projects and come with full source code to play around in. I am quite sure people will be very happy with even the slightest contribution to an editor which gives more control there. If only to see how it could be achieved.

So look around a bit and ask some people who code with one of the engines you are after on a daily basis, they would know what your possibilities are there.

Greetings and hoping you will report back if some of this works. We are all fan's of having more accessible control over stuff we usually go see a coder for. ( I could so use a shader builder for unity for example ;) )

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2010, 07:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.