PDA

View Full Version : Elk Hair Caddis - Graduation Film

MagnusM
03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone.

Finally our graduation film "Elk Hair Caddis" is finished, and online. It's a cartoony, gag based short film, about a bear and a frog. One of the goals with this project was to explore some of the boundaries of the 3D media, and how close we could bring it to a 2D feel in terms of broadness and flexibility.

One of the very important inspirations that made us think along these lines was the work of the swedish company Meindbender. Particularly the short "football vs. rabbit" was a very helpful source of inspiration.
For the animation we used maya and Blender (anisculpt) and for comp we used Fusion. The backgrounds where first built as miniatures, then lit and taken pictures of, and lastly matte-painted in Photoshop. For more information about the film please check out elkhaircaddis.com (http://www.elkhaircaddis.com/)

This film was made during the last year of our studies at "The Animation Workshop" in Viborg, Denmark. The main team consists of: Alice Holme (http://www.aliceholme.blogspot.com/), Peter Smith (http://www.petersmith-portfolio.blogspot.com/), Anders Jepsen (http://www.andersbrogaard.blogspot.com/) and Magnus I. Møller (http://www.andersbrogaard.blogspot.com/).

The film can be watched here: Elk Hair Caddis (http://elkhaircaddis.com/ElkHairCaddis.com/Movie.html)

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151509&stc=1

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151510&stc=1

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=151512&stc=1

All kinds of feedback is very welcome! :)

Imaver
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Lol, thats was funny :)

I liked the animation and your style a lot :thumbsup:

Controller51
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Great!!! I love it!

alaa-afifah
03-12-2010, 05:48 PM
that is really good work i like it
keep...up
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=862370

joel3d
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Really great short! Very funny, love the style. Congratulations!

Playback was crappy on Vimo, hate the stutteing! My connection isn't even that slow. Wish you could make it available as Quicktime.

Wow, well good luck to you all! Thanks for making this.

jschieck
03-12-2010, 09:50 PM
ahhaha this is amazing, nice work!

ragdoll
03-14-2010, 05:41 PM
lots of talent involved! it has a similar look and feel to http://www.meindbender.com/ style and animaton! amazing work for a student film! front page worthy! :beer:

Deje3D
03-14-2010, 06:08 PM
It is awesome :) I saw it at a screen here in Viborg.

Some places the 3d could have been better. But still it is a awesome story and animation style.

I really enjoyed it.

ivanisavich
03-15-2010, 02:23 AM
Wow....amazing animation!!! Loved the whole thing :)

degm3ister
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
superb work! The story is very funny and nice animation style! Congratz

manuel1
03-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Hey man your art work and design for the short looks awesome, I loved how it looks in 3d even better.
I wish I could see the animation but I'm working in Beijing China and I cant get vimeo or any other video website. But I love the screen shot and the look of it. Good Job.

manuel1

Emil Torres

ets11man@gmail.com

Aben-Athar
03-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Amazing guys! Just loved it! The sets are amazing!

MagnusM
03-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Thanks a bunch for all the supportive comments! That really means a lot to us.

During the last weeks we have recieved a lot of nice feedback from all around the web. It has been featured at several animation blogs, and we have recieved many positive comments.

"Joel3d" mentioned that the playback was not optimal on Vimeo, is anyone else having the same problem? It is on youtube as well if that helps: link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuTPrGET1eI&feature=related)

leigh
04-14-2010, 01:15 PM
This is simply superb work. I love your style, it's really unusual. The way you've used the miniatures together with the really stylised characters and the strange perspectives, it's a real feast for the eyes. This is really, really impressive work especially considering you're just students - you put a lot of us professionals to shame. Congratulations to all of you for this entertaining and beautifully made piece.

I hope your server can handle the views that this will get from the plug. If you have any issues, please let me know. And apologies for only plugging this now. This thread was brought to my attention by Ragdoll.

JakeJK
04-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Congrats on the frontpage, guys! Very well deserved.. I was waiting for you guys posting it here!

Looking forward to see you back in Viborg!

Goliath
04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
congrats guys :buttrock:

USAlex
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Cool, it's even with Russian obscenities! :)

FanaticArt
04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
yeah definetly deserved. Great movie!

RO
04-14-2010, 03:33 PM
Amazing really well done, the gags were perfect. Got a little too over the top at the end but other wise amazing. Love to mix of physical modeling to cg.

selwy
04-14-2010, 03:53 PM
GREAT :buttrock:

Splinter
04-14-2010, 04:04 PM
Your animation was a lot of fun to watch. Congratulations on such a job well done!!!

Dennik
04-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I seriously don't know what you guys were smoking when you were doing this. But apparently it worked out great cause its darn funny. ;-D

JoshKirk
04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
Love this short! And I am really liking the new 2d/3d thought process you and meinbender have come too

BUZZFX
04-14-2010, 07:02 PM
This was great. Loved the fun feel to it and the music. Is there any way I can download it as watching it on your link is very slow. Thanks.

pg

nakimushi
04-14-2010, 07:41 PM
wow that was a blast !!!
Animation is super smooth and the style and story is great too
once again amazing work guys !

Whitmire
04-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Yeah that was great!

Well done!

Framed
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Good thing it was plugged, could've missed it! I'm glad you kept from messing up his eyeball though, I was cringing through that whole sequence :D Good one

Berax0r
04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Great work! :)

Turri
04-15-2010, 01:10 AM
hahahaha thats so funny :-) papaaa papaaa !!! :applause: love it !

Comlock
04-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Wow, congrats on your frontpage Magnus, Alice ,Peter and Anders.
Great job! My favourite animation scene is the in the beginning where the frog is getting on his bike, and the one where he gets the hook in the eye

maxspider3000
04-15-2010, 10:05 AM
BIG LOL guys .... hehehe, that was so so funny, stylized, fresh and ... painful !! ... ya, I can feel this hook sticking in my eye too .. OUCH ! :D

congrats for the frontpage ... keep going everyone :)

- Yusuf

biliousfrog
04-15-2010, 11:12 AM
I loved the style, characters and the animation, truely excellent work.

I've got a huge "BUT" though...

I loved the characters, they had so much potential. The poor frog, just desperate for some time away from his hundreds of kids, broken trailer and crappy home life. The bear has it all, a shiney car, fancy house, mowed lawn, about to take a fishing trip, probably on a day off from his well paid office job...

...so why didn't we see some interaction between the two characters that used all that background information? The characters were so well developed, and we can see from the start that they're from very different backgrounds, but all we get is a generic chase scene which could have involved anyone/anything. You could have completely cut the entire introduction part and started from the fishing section without any impact on the story. It seems like such a wasted opportunity.

[EDIT] I just realised that I said, "I've got a huge but" :surprised

Pnoodles
04-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Amazing work guys!
I cant believe the quality/talent of The Animation Workshop students nowadays. I'm particularly impressed by the creative rigging you've got going on, they look like a lot of fun.

vadimouz
04-15-2010, 01:37 PM
SUPER!!!
russian text was pleasant :applause:

damagedart
04-15-2010, 03:00 PM
I loved the style, characters and the animation, truely excellent work.

I've got a huge "BUT" though...

I loved the characters, they had so much potential. The poor frog, just desperate for some time away from his hundreds of kids, broken trailer and crappy home life. The bear has it all, a shiney car, fancy house, mowed lawn, about to take a fishing trip, probably on a day off from his well paid office job...

...so why didn't we see some interaction between the two characters that used all that background information? The characters were so well developed, and we can see from the start that they're from very different backgrounds, but all we get is a generic chase scene which could have involved anyone/anything. You could have completely cut the entire introduction part and started from the fishing section without any impact on the story. It seems like such a wasted opportunity.

[EDIT] I just realised that I said, "I've got a huge but" :surprised

I agree and was thinking the same thing. That and the apocalyptic ending was a little crazy. A submarine in a small stream. And a planned fishing trip within a crazy chase scene away from a nuclear plant? I do understand you have to end somehow =)

Aside from the crit, this was an awesome short. Excellent everything in my opinion. Loved the style and animation.

Gabba
04-15-2010, 07:13 PM
I love fly fishing and this film is so funny!
Grats! =)

Daemonecles
04-16-2010, 05:55 AM
Pretty Friggin awesome guys! I love the style obviously and the meticulous landscape you guys hand created. The animation was great too although I saw some swimming 3D textures but pretty snazzy altogether!

punjabifrog
04-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Amazing funny concept, spl. that shot HOOK IN THE EYE was amazing, :bowdown: :bounce: :wavey:

best of luck 4 future.

nitin

jussing
04-16-2010, 09:40 AM
I saw this in Cinemateket. :) Much congrats to you guys on the front page plug.

And yea, the hook-in-eye shot HURTS!

- Jonas

s3bi
04-16-2010, 05:04 PM
haha, very funny :)

SheepFactory
04-16-2010, 06:24 PM
Once again the best short films come from students instead of studios.

Congrats guys, amazing short!

MSDyermaker
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Wow! That short is really awesome. I would say it definetly broke the barriers between CG and traditional animation. Really nice character and environmental design!

Hooch
04-16-2010, 09:36 PM
I Wish we could see more of this type of Art,
The music and the action just play along wonderfuly,
Congratulations guys, very well done.

Only one thing, The hook in the eye
NOT THE EYE!!! :D

Cheers!

ErikE
04-17-2010, 07:28 AM
haha nice! I love the style

gregsandor
04-17-2010, 08:08 PM
This is fun! I really like the miniatures.

bymak
04-17-2010, 11:19 PM
hahaa..:) really funny animation...Congratulations...

Animasta
04-18-2010, 06:01 AM
I have to say, that was a pretty refreshing video. Certainly better than some stuff I've seen from some companies as of late.

phoenix
04-18-2010, 08:01 AM
very impressive indeed

Regards

Jeggis
04-18-2010, 10:11 PM
Hahaha, that made my day! :)

DruG
04-19-2010, 01:19 PM
This is sick! :D

I love the style of your animation.

MagnusM
04-19-2010, 05:19 PM
I just came home from a field trip (doing my national service in denmark), and when i turn on my computer i find hank the frog on the frontpage!! What a great suprice :) thank you so much!! And thanks all of you for the nice comments. Its overwhelming really. This really gives a lot of motivation to make more shorts.

There was a comment mentioning that we should made the characters interact. It was a decisive choice having them not to, but looking back im totally agree though. There's so many places where could have created some funny moments. And yes, the chase is a bit generic, and also becoming a cliche among student films... I guess it gave something to do with that its fun to animate and storyboard :)

Some is mentioning that the 3d could have been better... Defenately! Unfortunately we animators are usually not so technically gifted, but we tried our best. We also recieved a lot of help the last month and a half of the production from some fellow students at our school studying cg stuff. We would never have finished at time without them. The water was a biig headache for us, and after a lot of testing, we found a result that we liked, of course time was running out and we did not have time to polish all the scenes in this regard... If anyone have some suggestion to what could be better storywise, but also technical please let it out :) there's so many talented people here, and we are always eager to learn more.

pepeland
04-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Sooooo funny and really well animated, great timing and appealling in each production stage, so inspiring.

Jur!

daymon-studio
04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Very nice animation.

Rofideo
04-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Sooooo funny and really well animated, great timing and appealling in each production stage, so inspiring.

Jur!

You are alive! Nice to see you here "Tio"
Tus trabajos siempre me han inspirado!

And about animatios:
Realy great and refreshing piece of art keep it up :thumbsup:

Rofideo
Mexico

Rahl
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Very, very nice.

One of the best short movies around imo, gz again.

simyevil2010
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
h3h3h3h3h very very funny story & i like it 2much the chrcter is very nice

ceep on & goodluck

CGTalk Moderation
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.