PDA

View Full Version : (first) Lighting Reel

CPFitz14
03-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Finally put together my first reel. Sending it off with a few internship applications. I've still got another semester of school left so there will be more to come. Hope you like it.

http://vimeo.com/10110554

CPFitz14
03-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Fixed the black bars squishing it. Oops!

WeezTheJuice
03-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the golf cart shot. The camera angle doesn't showcase any great lighting techniques very well, but I think the shots of it that you have on your wip blog are a bit better. When I saw the shot in your reel, I was just a bit blown out with white, and I didn't see much lighting and texture wise that sold me on it. I'd say work on it a bit more to make it look more finished perhaps, and try to showcase the texture on the bag a bit too in the shot, it looks nice from the picture. Keep at it, since you still have some time as you said try to complete another shot or two and cut out some of the older work, as I'm sure you can see your first two pieces are your best.

The third shot I think could benefit from a different perspective as well. It seems like there are some interesting things texture wise that you might be able to show with a more interesting camera angle instead of a relatively static shot of the overall scene. Get in there and mess with the composition of the shot a bit to give the scene a bit more character.

I also saw on your blog that you were experimenting experimenting with a fancier title card, and I think it's good you went with a simpler one. Even if it is done well- an animated, flashy title card isn't a good call, keep it professional as you did. Good work so far, I hope you have success in your internship hunt.

CPFitz14
03-15-2010, 02:20 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback. You caught me; the golf cart ended up being blown out and I unfortunately couldn't fix it in post. The original shot started with a closeup of the golf bag, but as it panned past the cart it was just too blown out to keep. I didn't want to scrap the whole thing, so I ended up cutting it short. I hope to re-render that shot soon.

Good idea on the third shot as well. I'll be the first to admit that camera moves aren't my strong point. I didn't really think about getting up close to the textures. Definitely worth experimenting more.

Appreciate the crits, thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2010, 02:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.