PDA

View Full Version : Why has After Effects suddenly become useless?

GruvDOne
03-12-2010, 06:57 AM
I am really at a loss on this one...

Basically, I have spent the last 3 days rendering out pieces for a graphics package. Specifically at this point, I am working on title pages. I am experiencing a behavior from After Effects that is, quite honestly killing me - the renders keep failing with a message stating :

After Effects error: unable to allocate space for a 1920 x 1080 image buffer. You may be experiencing fragmentation. In the Memory and Cache Preferences dialog box, try decreasing the Maximum RAM Cache Size value and selecting the Enable Disk Cache option, increasing the Maximum Memory Usage, or both

Ooooookaaaaay... So I do that (increasing the disk cache to 10000mb), and the result is always the same. My first instinct was to start stripping things away... ultimately, I got all the way down to a single pre-comp with 1 image sequence and 1 object buffer, set as a luma matte. There was also a mask on the pre-comp... and even that failed!

It's as though something invisible is just chewing the hell out of the RAM.... while rendering, I'll watch the RAM percentage climb dramatically until just seconds in the render it stops when the RAM usage is at about 92%. Stranger still is that the behavior occurred in my last test even though there was nothing present in the early frames, meaning that the program is using like hundreds of megabytes of RAM per frame to calculate a vacuum... This is just not normal and it is driving me insane.

Some facts about the project and set up

Animation length - 10 sec
Output format - 8 bit TIFF sequence (PSD Layers)
Resolution - 1920 x 1020
Straight Alpha

Rendered out of C4D R11.5,
Brought into After Effects CS3

8 - Core (3.2GHz) Mac Pro, 16GB RAM. OSX 10.6.2

I plan to post this in the AE forum as well, but I know alot of C4D guys who use AE, so it can't hurt to tap into the collective wisdom here as well.

AAAron
03-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Throw away all afx prefs.
Throw all afx. cache files.

(your not running out of space on afx scratch disk are you?)

d0bermann
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
Also,

hold shift while you click preferences / general. there will be a new menu called "secret" on the bottom. hit that, enable "disable layer cache" and enter a number for purge every frame area. if you keep on getting the same error, lower the number.

this will increase your render times, but will definitely help.

k.

GruvDOne
03-12-2010, 07:41 AM
Throw away all afx prefs.
Throw all afx. cache files.

OK

(your not running out of space on afx scratch disk are you?)

No, that folder is at 0 kb.

Also,

hold shift while you click preferences / general. there will be a new menu called "secret" on the bottom. hit that, enable "disable layer cache" and enter a number for purge every frame area. if you keep on getting the same error, lower the number.

this will increase your render times, but will definitely help.

k.

That's interesting... a secret menu? Those cheeky.... well ok.. So, I decided to try my 1 sequence, 1 object buffer i mask pre-comp idea test in CS4, and it worked perfectly. I watched the RAM usage % in the render que, and it got up to as high as 60% and would occasionally even drop down to 48% as it chugged through all frames. I then stepped it up and put together a whole title page, and it too rendered out completely.

Honestly this has got me to believing that there is some sort of bug causing a memory leak in CS3.

I discovered one last pass I needed to render in C4D, but once it is complete, I will have a go at building these out in CS4... if it starts to act up in a similar fashion I'll start again digging into these suggestions and any others that may be offered.

Less than 12 hours from my delivery time.. stressed.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks All

-Will

xdennisx
03-12-2010, 07:51 AM
if you also have premiere pro you could try to import the aep in premiere and try to render that... but i'm not sure if this could help

bongoboy
03-12-2010, 11:27 AM
if you also have premiere pro you could try to import the aep in premiere and try to render that... but i'm not sure if this could help

I'll second that...

Rendering in premiere via dynamic link usually gives me a massive render speed boost. Even with really fx heavy comps. Don't know why, just noticed about 6 months ago while i was working with multiple fx shots linked into a single premiere sequence. Rendering the sequence took a third of the time than rendering each comp separately, with a lot less memory drain... :thumbsup:

Shademaster
03-12-2010, 12:37 PM
There was a time I had these errors you speak of very frequently. Somehow they dissapeared when I upgraded my ram to 12gb on my octo macpro. Weird that with 16gb it still comes up...

What I recently discovered is that with multiprocessor support AE creates 7 clones of itself called aeslink that help with rendering. If your render hangs and you force quit AE those aeslink apps remain active (and eating up resources). Now if you hit render again it adds an additional 7 aeslink apps. This will bog down your machine so much you need to either reboot or force quit all the aeslink apps yourself.

Also the Shift key secret renderpurge option works a lot in speeding up during rendering.

keithrondinelli
03-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I think Adobe really needs to get their act together with After Effects. It's a wonderful piece of software... when it works. I feel like I need to constantly troubleshoot it, and wrestle with it to get it to work. And then, it'll smoothly work and then randomly start acting-up. And I'm not a newbie with a poorly spec'd machine, either. I've been working in the program since the early 90s, and it's always been this way. Why is it that Cinema 4D, which is far more of a complex, powerful piece of software, hardly ever gives me headaches? It never crashes, rarely freezes, finishes its renders diligently?

I think AE needs a ground-up rewrite, or something.

I think I had your problem before, and all I had to do was use the "purge" command. Did you try that?

chi
03-12-2010, 01:05 PM
adobe really just needs to work on killing their program bloat.
recently I was testing out articulate (which is an elearning package but more or less like powerpoint). the program itself has no relation to adobe products in the gui...and zooming in slows everything down to a crawl...heck copying slides takes 10 seconds on my i920.
every adobe app has these sorts of issues...its sucks...adobe needs to take a look at the svelte little program that is c4d and trim some fat.

jonahtobias
03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
That out of memory error is something Adobe is fixing in the upcoming CS5 by requiring all plugins operate in 64 bit. When AE is finally 64bit that should help with tons of the stupid memory and slowness issues cs4 has.

Unfortunately a nasty side-result of the 64bit transition will be that all plugins be recompiled to 64bit versions to work, which means they will all have to be re-downloaded and re-installed. Tons of plugin devs wont bother to update, I am sure.

http://www.minning.de/journal/my-thoughts-on-after-effects-cs5-being-64-bit-only

MJV
03-12-2010, 02:18 PM
I went through the same thing with an AE project about 10 years ago with the same secret pref solution required, which Adobe support told me about. One might have thought they might have done something about it some ten years later.

Joseppi
03-12-2010, 07:15 PM
OK

Honestly this has got me to believing that there is some sort of bug causing a memory leak in CS3.

I discovered one last pass I needed to render in C4D, but once it is complete, I will have a go at building these out in CS4... if it starts to act up in a similar fashion I'll start again digging into these suggestions and any others that may be offered.

Less than 12 hours from my delivery time.. stressed.. keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks All

-Will

Will,

I was just looking into the Adobe Suite programs running/compatibility with 10.6. I found some Adobe FAQs saying among other things, that CS3 programs could suddenly crash on opening or saving and I think there was a reference to Photoshop slowing down the longer you use it. They made it sound like there were these issues across a range of products, so perhaps also in AE CS3 under 10.6 I have AE CS3 myself and it made me think I would risk having problems moving from 10.5.8 to 10.6, so that AE info, along with the CS Suite reports, I probably won't go to 10.6 until Adobe works better with it.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/512/cpsid_51215.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/keyframes/2009/08/after_effects_and_snow_leopard.html

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/08/adobe_snow_leopard_faq.html

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402521.html

These probably aren't exactly your problem, but the gist is 10.6 doesn't work as well with a number of Adobe products as 10.5.

Sorry I can't be of more specific help, but I was just researching this yesterday to see what an update to 10.6 could possibly affect...

Joe

ediris
03-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Hi Will,
There is a layer that is conflicting hence why the render is not running.
You might want to check your layer setup or a effect that is causing the crash. I have done long format in AE and is simply a beauty when you press shift and render to see its speed
Also lesve enough ram to the system usually is fine with 2gb/one core, than give the rest to AE.
Hope you get your render done, if it is of no help check on http://www.mograph.net

People complaining in this thread is not helping Will to resolve the issue.
Solutions,solutions.
Try to get a better app for Motion Graphics than AE and let me know what the results are :)

Edgard

GruvDOne
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your replies and useful info.

Once I re-created the project in CS4, the renders all went off without a hitch. So, as Joseppi pointed out, it was probably related to the CS3 issues on 10.6.x.

I won't go too deep into my thoughts / beefs with Adobe, but I will say that ever since the acquisition of Macromedia, Adobe has seemed too spread thin, and it is really starting to take a toll....

A side note here to the moderator(s) who moved this thread. I would just like to point out that I did in fact post this in both the AE and C4D forums. The post in the AE thread didn't get its first reply for 13 hours, and even then it was more of a gripe post than anything really helpful. By contrast, the C4D forum gave me no fewer than 3 responses in that same time - two of them within the first half hour, and both containing potentially helpful / useful information. Had that move occurred sooner, and gotten the thread buried, resulting in me not getting help that I could have gotten, there could have been dire consequences for me, and that in my mind flies in the face of the purpose of a place such as this.

Besides, almost everyone who uses Cinema also uses After Effects, so it was quite prudent to post in the C4D forum; and the information that thread contains can be of use to C4D users. I ask with all due respect that you be less trigger happy with such actions in the future. - Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2010, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.