PDA

View Full Version : How to Sparkle multi points

CobraX
09-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Hey guys,

I would like to know how you would make some multi points particles Sparkle or Twinkle?

I used a fractal that i plugged in the opacity of those particles...but it doesn't sparkle enough...what is your technique
?

galactor
09-05-2003, 12:56 AM
Maybe you can go to the fractel place2dNode and increase the REPEATUV value. Or you should write an expression that let them sparkle radomly.

:: Galactor ::

CobraX
09-05-2003, 04:15 AM
thanks man ičll try the place2d node thing..as for expression i am not advanced enough yet...eventhough i crave to learn expresions... i just can't find a place to learn them...

Thanks lots man! :D

alexx
09-05-2003, 09:40 AM
keep in mind that multi particle systems will always have the same color for all spanned particles (so if you have a multi count of 10 e.g. all the 10 particles will have the same color)

to have them sparcle create e.g. a rgpPP for the system.
then create a runtime expression for that attribute:

int $slower = 10;
float $myNoise = (1 + noise(time*particleId/$slower)) / 2.0;

particleShape1.rgbPP = <<$myNoise, $myNoise, $myNoise>>;

decreasing $slower will make them blink faster and increasing it will do the opposite

cheers

alexx

CobraX
09-05-2003, 02:22 PM
That's nice alexx man, i am going to try that right away, but where in the hellll did you learn to you use expressions!??!?!?! :)

Is there a book just on this?

alexx
09-05-2003, 02:54 PM
hmm.. maya since about 6 years helps :)

concerning the particle expression stuff i had to figure out most myself, because in the early days of maya there was no forums and no books and stuff..
so trial and error mostly then (and nowadays as well some times ;)

cheers

alexx

zachgrachan
09-06-2003, 01:16 AM
CobraX - for the basics of expressions check out "Complete Maya Programming" by David Gould and also Mark Wilkins book (can't remember the name). Don't think there's much on particles there but once you get going, you don't need as much help as at the start.

*actually, Mark Wilkins book contains quite a bit about particles, I stand corrected even as I order his book.*

kiaran
09-09-2003, 09:25 AM
"Learning Maya: Dynamics" is a great book for learning everything about particles including some pretty in-depth discussion on expressions.

Here is a great 'twinkle' expression you can add to the rgbPP array attribute:

rgbPP=<<1,1,1>>*(sin(0.5*id+time*20));

Play with the 'time*20' variable to adjust the frequency. This expression will give a more rythmic sparkle due to the nature of the sin function.

I've just got into particle a couple months ago and they are alot of fun to play with, expecially when you aren't limited by ramps.

Good luck,
Kiaran

alexx
09-09-2003, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kiaran

...This expression will give a more rythmic sparkle due to the nature of the sin function.

i guess a sin function will be too regular for a sparkling particle..
that is why i gave the example with the noise.
noise is (compared to rand) a continous function as well, but not as regular as the sine would be :)

cheers

alexx

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.