PDA

View Full Version : Painting Jewelry

blackberryf1
03-11-2010, 05:00 AM
Hello! If this has been asked before please excuse me and if possible then point me to the thread, tutorial or tips regarding this matter... I searched the forums with no results about this.

Well, I am currently painting my girlfriend in Photoshop, and I wanted to add a Butterfly Ring to her right hand. I've tried a lot of different techniques but the results are not very good in my opinion, so I come here hoping that somebody could give me any advice in order to achieve better results.

I attached a photo of a piece of jewelry that is my reference point. Also included the best version of what I've been able to do to this day... the result is not too bad, I think, but I would love to get better.

Thanks for your time.
Julito!

PS. First time attaching images so I hope I did right... :hmm:

LadyMedusa
03-12-2010, 08:18 AM
That almost looks like bevel and emboss whit plastic wrap... It's good for a pop-effect, but that's not what you're after is it?
What you need to do is to actually paint it whit a harder brush. Don't paint everything clear, make the edges that are most far away less clear. or experiment whit the results

Lunatique
03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
You could try not painting all the specular highlights so similar. Be more selective and paint certain ones with a stronger reflections/highlight, while others are less so. Often commercial photography of jewelry looks very fake because everything is lit in such a contrived and artificial manner--the kind of look you only get with lots of very diffused studio strobes and softboxes and light banks...etc.

blackberryf1
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Thank you very much Medusa & Luna for your answers. :buttrock:

Medusa the effect contains like you said Bevel & Emboss, but has not Plastic Wrap; instead it has a Pattern in the 'Texture' channel, also another different texture in the Pattern Overlay channel, some additional effects and another layer with shading painting by hand.

I'll go and try painting with hard brush as you suggested.

Luna, I added a Linear Gradient Overlay to hide/show certain specular highlights of the Jewelry Piece, I think it worked pretty well. Additionally I created another to paint by hand some shadows, highlights in order to improve precise areas.

Still I think there too much (or a bit) of randomness in the piece but I think it "sells" like a Butterfly Ring. I include the JPG with some improvements.

Thank you very much for your time and suggestions! :thumbsup:
Julito

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.