PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive hd for Disk Cache?

FonteBoa
03-10-2010, 09:44 PM
(1) Adobe says "the folder should be on a hard disk that uses a different drive controller than the disk that contains your source footage." What does it mean, "different drive controller"?

(2) Would i get some benefit having an exclusive disk just for Disk Cache?

(3) If so an SSD short disk can give some beneficit to user?

Thanks in advance.

Mylenium
03-11-2010, 09:32 AM
(1) Adobe says "the folder should be on a hard disk that uses a different drive controller than the disk that contains your source footage." What does it mean, "different drive controller"?

You have 2 SATA channels on a standard mobo. It may be beneficial to connect your drives separately to them instead of hooking all drives to 1 channel. The other two questions: Mostly no on an extra disk for cache, since AE has limited realtime capabilities and requirements plus the normal disk cache is not persistent (only the media cache is). And for the life of it stay away from SSDs. Unless you get one that is super expensive, you will ruin your performance due to the slower write speed on the affordable ones. SSDs only make sense for any operation that primarily require file read operations such as fast operating system startup on notebooks.

FonteBoa
03-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks again for the tips, Mylenium. :)

BoBoZoBo
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Basically make sure your HD are running on seperate cables going to different controller slots on the motherboard. DO NOT set them up in series, run them parallel.

I ALWAYS have a 2nd HD setup for exclusive cahe use. I think a lot of people underestimate how much this can improve your workflow (even over RAM).

My main workstation has the following HD configuration - all SATA.

HD1 - 150GB @ 10,000 RPM - OS + Applications + reserve auxilliary cache
HD2 - 75GB @ 10,000 RPM - Exclusive working Cache (no other files)
HD3 - 500GB @ 7200 RPM - Data/Files
HD4 - 500GB@ 7200 RPM - Data/Files

Then several externals for backup redundency and archiving.

HD2 is pretty much an empty warehouse just so my files can go nuts. This configuation does absolutely amazing things. Even with only 4GB of RAM I cannot remember when I got a memory limit warning or error. Now with 16 GB...

HD are so cheap now it makes no sense NOT to have one. Especially when compared to the cost and slot limit of updating RAM. It gives your machine excellent longevity.

The only thing is when dealing with Win7 64, the permissions can be an issue before you configure it.

I agree with the SSHD issue. Its just not there yet for our kind of workflow, especially when comapring price per pound. Stick with high-RPM disk drives.

CGTalk Moderation
03-15-2010, 04:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.