PDA

View Full Version : KEYFRAMES - from one character to another...

Yonnie
03-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Hello,

Is there a way of copying the information such as key frames, curves etc. that I have made for a walk cycle of a dog, then pasting/applying it to the SAME dog (the same mesh) but in a different scene.

The reason why is because I have made an error with the deformation of the geometry and I need to go back to the stage before I started animating to make the adjustments (from soft bind to rigid bind). The geometry itself and rig won't be changing though.

Any suggestions please?

Thank you

P.s. I'm probably not the first person to ask this question so apologies if I have missed it. Please could you direct me to where the problem has been addressed.

berniebernie
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
You can use the anim export/import plug (you must load it first)

Remi
03-10-2010, 08:24 PM
zooXferAnimation in zooTools would be my suggestion, super simple to use. I haven't used the anim Import/Export that's native to maya so that might be just as easy to use, just wanted to give you another option.

Darksuit
03-10-2010, 08:56 PM
All that said you can fake Rigid bind by weighting the Mesh to a value of 1 for each bone influnce.

depending on the type of deformation you are doing, you may not need to rebind the mesh. You can remove the deformation, reapply it, and just reorder the inputs. Right click >show all inputs.

I do this with Blendshapes on a number of occasions.

Yonnie
03-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Thanks for the quick responses!

@berniebernie thats what i was looking for. is there a 'how to use...' breakdown explanation of the different settings because i don't know what some of it does. anything that will help me with the setting for importing and exporting would be great.

@Remi thank you! i'll see how i get on with the maya plugin and use zooxferanimation if it doesn't work.

@darksuit what is the bone influence? is that the geometry? i've tried to use the 'paint skin weights' tool, and 'flood' the parts of the geometry to 1 that are deforming incorrectly, but then I have this problem where the the geometry is no longer following the joints properly; either too slow or not at all.
When I click 'Show All Inputs' the geometry with the bad deformation have only two inputs: Cluster and Tweak respectively. I'm sorry but i'm unfamiliar with these terms... are they in the correct order?
Also, when I detach the geometry and then try to reapply it as a rigid bind it won't allow me to because it is no longer the 'bind pose', thats why im trying now to take the animation and apply to a previously saved version.

Darksuit
03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
So some basics.... =)

Bone Infulence. or Max number of infulences. A vertex can be infulenced or deformed in a number of different ways. The most common method is by bind a bone or skinning a bone to modify or infulence the vertex.

A single vertex can be infulenced by any number of bones. Usually there is a max number of bones per infulence set when you bind the bones to the geometry. I always recommend that when you do this for the first time start with a max infulence of 3 bones per vertex. This keeps things within reason.

The term for how much a bone has infulence of a given vertex is refered to as weight. The weight is usually normalized to 1.0 or 100% this means that if you add 0.25 of a weight of Bone A to a Vertex the maximum infulence Bone B will have on that same vertex is 0.75 since 0.25 + 0.75 = 1.0

So long as a bone does not have a controller on it, you can reset the skeleton back it the pose it was bound at by using the Go to Bind Pose Menu Item
(animation Menu Set) (Skin> Go to Bind Pose).

The bigest difference between rigid binding and smooth binding is that with Rigid the max infulence is set to 1 always. So you get 100% weight of a bone to a vertex.

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2010, 12:38 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.