PDA

View Full Version : Question about Next Challenge

RobertoOrtiz
03-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Any interest in a TRON tribute mini-challenge?
-R

mustan9
03-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Dude, look at my profile picture! :)

ParamountCell
03-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Sounds pretty cool!

stooch
03-13-2010, 02:49 AM
eh... why is that an effects challenge? never liked tron to be honest.

i would love to do some really complicated procedural rigging challenge. or some kind of swarm or complex particle stuff. maybe a "crazy weapons" challenge. where we design a bunch of nasty weapons that have unique effects and REALLY have us an FX war. Maybe even combine them all into a futuristic battlefield that becomes more than just a sum of its parts.

Of course, part of the challenge would be to illustrate the effect they have on their target. and i mean, not just tear holes in it with projectiles. how about opening a micro singularity and turning your target inside out?

a flame thrower and the glory of sticky burning death? rail guns, plasma guns, ionized lasers, particle beams, explosively formed projectiles, lightning guns, missile launchers, using lazy missiles, missile swarms, intelligent homing, etc.

a comically animated or mocapped target might also score bonus points.

---

or if you dont like the tech theme, we could do a fantasy theme, like maybe instead of guns maybe you want magic powers? and the weapons dont have to be violent, how about a "sheepanator" that turns target into sheep. or some other weird crap.

Id like to see more "WAR" in effect wars.

spurcell
03-13-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd be down with a Tron tribute.

kdronez
03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
I like stooch idea and I think I have a name if you choose that,its "Big F-ing Gun(BFG) challange" xD \m/ ^_^ \m/.

richardrosenman
03-14-2010, 07:52 PM
My two cents: I enjoy the competitions when they are FX driven (ie. Nuke, although I didn't get a chacne to do it). The Rocketman wasn't really that but I focused on camera mapping techniques (which is). Tron's cool but doesn't really involve much FX work which is what I would like to personally improve upon.
-Richard

mustan9
03-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Maybe RobertoOrtiz can clarify what aspect of Tron he was thinking of?

RobertoOrtiz
03-15-2010, 06:36 PM
The rendering...

i would love for people to try for a retro look in their rendering.

mustan9
03-15-2010, 07:11 PM
I've been wanting to learn more about custom shader development. So I'm for it :)

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Ok here is how we are going to do it:

A person whould be able to do an entry based in one of 4 flavors:

Classic Tron
Tron 2.0
Tron Legacy
Tron Concept Art

A entry has the task of trying to recrete the LOOK of the world. That is it.
It isi up to the artist to see how far they take it..

mustan9
03-16-2010, 01:18 PM
How about making it a procedural challenge. Maybe something like creating a Tron world using nothing but procedural methods (i.e. no modeling by hand).

RobertoOrtiz
03-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Tempting, but that would be more of a modeling challenge.

besides , I am curious to see what you guys would create for a Tron type world.

stooch
03-17-2010, 05:49 AM
Tron's cool but doesn't really involve much FX work which is what I would like to personally improve upon.
-Richard

thats exactly what i was thinking... tron is more about look than anything. i personally wouldnt know what i would even want to simulate out of tron.

aeres
03-17-2010, 03:36 PM
thats exactly what i was thinking... tron is more about look than anything. i personally wouldnt know what i would even want to simulate out of tron.

Cough...lightcycle trails...cough :D

RobertoOrtiz
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Good point...

Really good point.

It is in.
-R

mustan9
03-17-2010, 08:02 PM
How about the Tron derez fx?

http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Derez

RobertoOrtiz
03-17-2010, 09:07 PM
How about the Tron derez fx?

http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Derez
That would be cool too.

Since you are our resident Tron expert, could you mention the FX we could mine for a challenge

mustan9
03-17-2010, 11:07 PM
I'll have to give that some thought. It's nice and sunny out today so I'll have a beer and BBQ while I contemplate things of Tron.

mustan9
03-18-2010, 08:10 PM
My Tron challenge idea.

"Design a never before seen video game and present it as a Tron game experience. The FXWars challenge is to show how a Tron character would escape from that game."

Aikiman
03-23-2010, 12:20 AM
My Tron challenge idea.

"Design a never before seen video game and present it as a Tron game experience. The FXWars challenge is to show how a Tron character would escape from that game."

So everybody needs rigging and animation skills too?

EDIT Looking at previous challenges this is nothing new, ignore my post ;)

joshfilms
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
A flamethrower challenge would be pretty fun but maybe that is to similar to the nuke challenge which I missed :(.

-Josh

viki164
03-24-2010, 07:07 PM
I second Josh!
Flamethrower looks more of FX than TRON,
I am sure this time we might do something better.

Best,
Vik

Aikiman
03-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Flamethrower would be done in a week wouldnt it? What about a tidal wave?

joshfilms
03-24-2010, 08:30 PM

Potentially, but maybe you have some requirements like the flamethrower must be comped into a moving plate to make the challenge heavier.

Tidal wave would be pretty fun. My work just got realflow.

-Josh

AlphaJoe
03-24-2010, 09:02 PM
I would love a Tron tribute... Lots of neat ideas I can think of for effects.

Katachi
03-24-2010, 10:15 PM

A real-world simulation of a flamethrower ainīt as easy as it sounds Iīd say. Actually itīs quite hard to get done convincingly. Most simulations are too spiky compared to a real flamethrower and the quite quick but expanding combustion reaction is still hard to simulate. At least I havenīt seen a really convincing CG flamethrower by now (without using real footage). So to me this would be a welcomed challenge.

Anyway, a tidal wave would also be quite challenging I guess and fun to work on as I never worked with water in general yet. Therefore this would be a good chance (and motivation) for me to finally do so. :)

Aikiman
03-24-2010, 10:19 PM
A real-world simulation of a flamethrower ainīt as easy as it sounds Iīd say. Actually itīs quite hard to get done convincingly. Most simulations are too spiky compared to a real flamethrower and the quite quick but expanding combustion reaction is still hard to simulate. At least I havenīt seen a really convincing CG flamethrower by now (without using real footage).

You're right, my comment was a bit blase and it would be fun though I have seen some decent results in CG already. Can we wait until Maya 2011 comes out? haha

Katachi
03-24-2010, 10:25 PM
You're right, my comment was a bit blase and it would be fun though I have seen some decent results in CG already. Can we wait until Maya 2011 comes out? haha

;) I would be fine with any of them as a challenge (flamethrower or tidal wave).

MasterZap
03-25-2010, 11:23 AM
;) I would be fine with any of them as a challenge (flamethrower or tidal wave).

Fighting a Tidal Wave with a Flame Thrower - as a Tron Game!!! :bounce:

/Z

jimmy4d
03-25-2010, 01:09 PM
I could think of some cool VFX with a couple of them Tron bikes racing and crashing and tring to kill each other.........sounds like a blast to me... :arteest:

JohnPGiancarlo
03-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Fighting a Tidal Wave with a Flame Thrower - as a Tron Game!!! :bounce:

/Z

Hehehe, Sounds Crazy man, I really like this Idea !!!

RobertoOrtiz
03-25-2010, 04:12 PM
A real-world simulation of a flamethrower ainīt as easy as it sounds Iīd say. Actually itīs quite hard to get done convincingly. Most simulations are too spiky compared to a real flamethrower and the quite quick but expanding combustion reaction is still hard to simulate. At least I havenīt seen a really convincing CG flamethrower by now (without using real footage). So to me this would be a welcomed challenge.

Anyway, a tidal wave would also be quite challenging I guess and fun to work on as I never worked with water in general yet. Therefore this would be a good chance (and motivation) for me to finally do so. :)

I promise we will do it...
After Tron.

Your idea is very good.

-R

joshfilms
03-26-2010, 03:33 PM
I promise we will do it...
After Tron.

Your idea is very good.

-R

Sweet!

-Josh

d8D
03-27-2010, 04:55 AM
A entry has the task of trying to recreate the LOOK of the world. That is it.
It is up to the artist to see how far they take it..
I love this. Man, this would be awesome. It's always a blast to see a challenge where the emphasize is on recreating/reinventing the look of an already established franchise. Love to see what amazing work people come up with.

ParamountCell
03-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey rob what about the giant robit:wavey: If not I want to add giant robs to my tron world!!

RobertoOrtiz
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
Gian robot will happen soon...
BTW
TRON IS NOW LIVE

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=6471787#post6471787

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.