PDA

View Full Version : ANIMATION: Demo Reel

disrupt
09-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Ok, this is the reel I have been working on. Tear it apart! I would like to know what stands out to you, whether it is good or bad. Should I take anything out? Let me know what you think.

Most of this was done in Maya, some in Max and character studio

Demo Reel 14MB (http://www.motionmeanie.com/videos/SeptReelFinalsmalll.mpg)

mehdianim
09-07-2003, 11:38 PM
First thing I'd say is change the music. It doesn't go well with your game animations, I'd try something with a faster beat and no lyrics.
Otherwise, as far as your demo reel it looks fine I think.
If you have time you should go bak and iron out your dialog animations just to make them tighter. The one that most needs work is the devil. His eyes don't move at all the whole time...and they are big.

MosaFacku
09-08-2003, 03:45 AM
i agree with mehdi about the music. change it or ditch it. also, i think your "game" type / character studio animations are a helluva lot better than your dialogue animations. so i'd put them at the begining and your dialogue anims towards the end. also, i'd either put an animation between the dialogue about the car, and the darts anim. they've got the same dude in blue, so at first, i thought you just cut to a close up shot to continue the dialogue, then i was confused when it was another voice. so, either change the color of the guy's outfit, or move one of your other anims inbetween them.

looking at your reel again, i'd almost go so far to say ditch your dialogue animations altogether. they're not nearly as strong as the character studio anims.

also, another minor suggestion: during the opening titles, you've got the titles animating. i think you timing is a little off on the squashiness. also, when they whoosh off the screen, maybe have the a little lag to parts of the text, so instead of looking like this : | as it goes, it could look more like this: / its kinda hard to explain. but i'm just saying that since your going the extra mile to animate the intro, why not go all out and make it even better.

keep in mind, these are all just suggestions to polish off what you already have. good luck with your job search! wish ya the best!

disrupt
09-08-2003, 07:30 PM
thanks for the replies.

mehdianim-- thanks for the tip about the eyes. Somehow I must have forgot to animate them. Bad mistake.

MosaFacku--Interesting that you like the game animations better. I am trying to make the transition games animation to more acting and film stuff. I know I need alot more work on the acting side. Also, good tip on the titles. I'll fix that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.