PDA

View Full Version : Malik Shah's Sanctuary, El Rafo (3D)

Raphael-Lacoste
09-04-2003, 04:06 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4029/sanctuary_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/4029/sanctuary.jpg)

after a few month, a brand new picture :)
hope you'll like it and give some comments, I can still work on it :)

JimLad
09-04-2003, 04:25 PM
very nice work. my only criticism is that the mountain backdrop looks quite flat :wip:

ceql
09-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Wow, that looks great! :applause:

I agree with JimLad about the Background however... btw, what app/render did ya use? :)

Raphael-Lacoste
09-04-2003, 04:54 PM
thanks guys :)
yes I could work more on the warp of the mountains, maybe add some vertex ...

I used 3Dmax 4.2 and Vray
:beer:

ZIVrender
09-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Great image. Definitely one of my favorites. The fog definitely got the desired effect.

Congrats

:drool:

Mrtvy brouk
09-04-2003, 05:51 PM
It is great man, I love it! :thumbsup:

TWooster
09-04-2003, 06:01 PM
Great atmosphere. Quite lovely in most regards.

Here are your crits:

For everything looking so smooth, the arches are awfully blocky. It's distracting -- I kept thinking it was intentional, but I just can't understand -why-. My artistic mind disagrees with it.

Yeah, the mountain does make it look flat. I'd say add more fog to give it depth, but then you might lose the feel of the image.

Anyway, cheers, good stuff,

-Tony

elevationson
09-04-2003, 06:30 PM
beautiful shot, nice atmosphere,

the mountain is little flat, if you just lighten the top a little more I think it would kick a little better.

pascal_blanche
09-04-2003, 07:42 PM
OOOooo stie... very nice raph! looks like you worked late this weekend, hmmm? maybe you should work out a bit the background and diffuse a litle more the top of the mountain.. And it's still a bit monochromatic... you could maybe add parts of greens in the chadow areas.. my two cnets in your U (private joke;)

Raphael-Lacoste
09-04-2003, 08:52 PM
you're right dude :)
I can do something with this mountain, but for the colour i liked it in this kind of monocromatic peakock blue, to give a painterlike feeling! you know David Roberts etc...
anyway, i'll try a few things :beer:
Kofee?

stephen2002
09-04-2003, 08:59 PM
it looks really nice, good detailing. The one thing that caught my eye is how skinny those torches are; the one that is standing up looks like it is hovering.

Raphael-Lacoste
09-04-2003, 09:51 PM
wow! thanks for the stars :)
yeah stephen, i think i have to do something with the torch in the front, maybe add some rocks on the foreground to improve the distance between the FG and the BG...:shrug:

samgrice
09-04-2003, 09:59 PM
i wanna see more!!:thumbsup:

B3AND1P
09-04-2003, 11:15 PM
I felt something was off, and then it hit me. If this was a night scene wouldn't the flames be a lot brighter? you can't have a lot of bright light sources like that in a scene and still have the moon light everything up so much. I feel like there should be more contrast than there is. great job though.

elhuppi
09-04-2003, 11:41 PM
really wunderful scene you made there. My congrats so far.
There was already said a lot of the crits I had in mind so there´s just one left that has bothered me by the first look on it. Just a nitpick but since this is a critics forum you can´t get away without a crit.

The flame on the right is too much darkened by the fog. Fog won´t do such a thing to a bright light that´s shining trough it. It just happens by layering something ontop. In real life the light would only have a greater halo(or corona) and even gets more diffused by the fog but not directly darkened.
As I sad just a nitpick.

Great image.

Alex

Garma
09-04-2003, 11:49 PM
incredible stuff! Awesome lighting, really great

Raphael-Lacoste
09-05-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Hugh P. Rich
really wunderful scene you made there. My congrats so far.
There was already said a lot of the crits I had in mind so there´s just one left that has bothered me by the first look on it. Just a nitpick but since this is a critics forum you can´t get away without a crit.

The flame on the right is too much darkened by the fog. Fog won´t do such a thing to a bright light that´s shining trough it. It just happens by layering something ontop. In real life the light would only have a greater halo(or corona) and even gets more diffused by the fog but not directly darkened.
As I sad just a nitpick.

Great image.

Alex

you're really right! :) i'll do that tonight :)

Gotham
09-05-2003, 02:51 AM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hanzo
09-05-2003, 02:59 AM
:thumbsup: hey raph great work dude, I got a good eye and I don't think the mountains look that bad, although in real life there would be a atmosphereic haze..

:eek: other than that excellent! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Onieros
09-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Excellent Piece. :thumbsup:

I love it. I think the color scheme is great and the angle is awesome. I think the torch lieing in the forground appears a little to large. It seems as if you need something a little more to make the forced perspective a little more believable. I also agree with needing a bit more atmospheric haze on the mountains.

All in all it's an awesome piece and the minor details don't take away. They're just nit-picky artist crits... great job man.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Quandary One12
09-05-2003, 03:17 AM
Is it just me, or do you all feel as if your in the game Retrun to Castle Wolfenstiein right before that woman lets out that ghost boss.

rusdom
09-05-2003, 03:39 AM
wow this is great. I gotta tell ya... I dont think the mountain backdrop looks flat at all.... One of the first things I thought when I saw this was how great the mountains looked back there.... just my opinion though :shrug: :wavey: Keep up the good work

*forgot to say... if anything maybe add a little more haze around the mountains... the peaks seem to be just a little to clear for the atmosphere in the rest of the scene

mehdianim
09-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Great piece.
I like how the farscape feels. Has a very lord of the rings armosphere to it. I like!

Vesuvando
09-05-2003, 04:37 AM
:eek:
Quite fantastic atmosphere.
I agree for the fire-lights that should be brighter.
Anyway...
:buttrock:

Digital Backlot
09-05-2003, 04:53 AM
I really like this image. It has a very romantic darkness to it. it does have a flat look to it because of the sigular color and the backdrop (mountians) have an odd perspective... but I think thats the part I like about it. It feels very painterly.

Nice work!

Emberghost
09-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Comment.....comment on what, that thing is BEAUTIFUL! Incredible peice there, everything I can see is very nice. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

facial
09-05-2003, 05:25 AM
Very nice work here, El Rafo.:D :thumbsup:
and I love the mood of this work.
Well done, and hope to see more your work.

goodlag
09-05-2003, 05:33 AM
Beautifull work! I love it :thumbsup:

background 3d?

G-Prime
09-05-2003, 05:40 AM
Ok what program did you use ? Is it 3D or Photoshop.

???
09-05-2003, 05:41 AM
3D or Photoshop ?

F. Hultqvist
09-05-2003, 05:41 AM
No additional critiques here, Very nice work El Rafo.

wilson81
09-05-2003, 05:56 AM
WOW :eek:
very nicely done
some day........

:thumbsup:

Raphael-Lacoste
09-05-2003, 06:11 AM
hi guys !
first thanks a lot for your usefull comments! I reworked a little bit on the atmosphere and some foreground elements :)

and yes... here is the picture:drool:

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/ftp/CG_forums/sanctuary2.jpg

lmc
09-05-2003, 06:32 AM
Good job, i like the lighting and mood.....its set very well....:applause:

jason-slab
09-05-2003, 06:43 AM
wow really good work

at first i thought it was a pianting!!

no critZ

|jason

Troub
09-05-2003, 06:47 AM
Great atmosphere!!!
You just made my day :beer:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

olijosman
09-05-2003, 06:50 AM
fantastic!! good use of the color to create atmosphere.:thumbsup:

draxaz
09-05-2003, 07:16 AM
No wordz... :buttrock:

SheepFactory
09-05-2003, 07:19 AM
I am gonna be a fanboy here for once and say YOU ROCK :)

this is one of the best environment\lighting i have seen in a while

stilian
09-05-2003, 08:24 AM
:applause: its very good:thumbsup: my problem is sky on backdrop loock very 3d like perlin noise (unreel) meybe some reel sky wil bi work mach beterb i like it very mach

Sqwall
09-05-2003, 08:37 AM
It is very nice picture. I really like fantasy environments. Atention to detail is very good.

Decent work.

I will wait to se other of you jobs :)

oxyg3n
09-05-2003, 08:48 AM
Great Job,

I really like the atmosphere too. It reminds me of something from LOTR

phoenix
09-05-2003, 09:35 AM
very stuning

sixthe45
09-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Awesome.Shows you have put in a great deal of work.:buttrock:

Miau
09-05-2003, 10:15 AM
WoW ..
this is incredible! best environment scene ive ever seen!
great job ! :applause: :applause:

shujumy
09-05-2003, 10:29 AM
very nice atmosphere. welldone :thumbsup:

xeno
09-05-2003, 10:32 AM
wow! cant say much more then just thats its awesome work!

Argon18
09-05-2003, 11:25 AM
Very good feeling.
Good Work :drool:

Carlocki
09-05-2003, 11:34 AM
Do you know Malik Shahwas the favourite sanctuary of Hitler :)

I'm joking El rafo
nicest stuff
hope you find what are you looking for

carlocki

onscreen
09-05-2003, 11:35 AM
First sight : Inspired by LOTR

Second sight : OH NO!!! :drool:

Final sight : i am in :love:

Good job. Hope to see more of your work

daviddrbal
09-05-2003, 11:49 AM
I don't have problem with mountains, only one think seem look strange to me. It's that door. Ornaments are too dark, as you don't use so dark ornaments anywhere.

Great i love it. :applause: :eek: :applause:

PS: If you use DOF focused at front of scene, no one can tell nothing wrong about mountains anymore.

My Last Post (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81836)

dsigna
09-05-2003, 12:03 PM
j´ai vraiment cru a un matte-painting... trop top... :arteest: :arteest:

Pegasus
09-05-2003, 01:11 PM
This looks amazing.

Reminds me of Lord of the Rings....

Just a great Job - Keep Going.....:thumbsup:

chlywly
09-05-2003, 02:35 PM
It's really nice, great attention to detail but somehow I feel you can do more with the colour, it seems to lack depth b/c of the wash of such a teal blue colour, try to add darker shadows and maybe lighter lights, you can touch it up a bit in photoshop, try something different colour wise.

RiZ
09-05-2003, 02:47 PM
exellent...... very nice lightning.....:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Joss
09-05-2003, 03:13 PM
Damn Vray is sweet!

they don't make that for Maya do they?

how long did your render take?

HapZungLam
09-05-2003, 03:16 PM
i have a silly quesiont. How do you make that foggy , hasty kind of thing in the buliding. you use particles? or some default thing of your renderer.

Raphael-Lacoste
09-05-2003, 03:39 PM
hi guys!

thanks a lot for all these coments :)

HapZungLam:
I use the default max volume fog, just find after the right setup of scale/ opacity/color :)

dreamtalks :
right, but with the fog I tried brighter color and It was too light, but you're right the metal material of max takes very dark ambiant, I have trouble to set that :(

Carlocki:
sacré italien va! :)

Joss:
Its sweet yes ;) vray is also a fast renderer, it takes about 20 min/frame for a 1.2k render more than one hour for a 4k.

Raphael-Lacoste
09-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by ???
3D or Photoshop ?

3Ds Max 4.2 +vray :D

g.samsa
09-05-2003, 03:43 PM
this is a great image well done.

:applause:

but there are a few things that seem a little out of place. the shiny torch holders and the door seem a little out of place among all the ruins and decay. i think if you weather those a bit that might tie the scene toghether better.

otherwise great job. :thumbsup:

CreatureseEtc
09-05-2003, 03:48 PM

How long did it take to make ?
Also, how long does it take to render? ;)

Zardoz
09-05-2003, 04:16 PM
I think this is a great render and it's almost perfect. Only one crit: i don't like very much the sky...it looks too fractalised...

:eek:

Banshee
09-05-2003, 04:19 PM
WOW that´s so cool!

Do you have any high-Res-Versions? That would make a cool Poster...

5 Stars, just perfect! I LOVE the atmosphere.. my old gothic heart starts to beat again ;)

PhilOsirus
09-05-2003, 04:37 PM
I like the mountains! They don't look flat to me at all.

Dreamwave
09-05-2003, 05:08 PM
OMG that's awsome, amazing
thanks for the new background!!!

Raphael-Lacoste
09-05-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Phil "Osirus"
I like the mountains! They don't look flat to me at all.

héhé :)

HeroChannel
09-05-2003, 06:20 PM
It's simply amazing!:thumbsup: I'm impressed...

eoin
09-05-2003, 06:25 PM
beautiful work man you really captured a mood. Like it a lot.

Wonderer
09-05-2003, 07:03 PM
NICE!!!
I sugest you try to bright a litle more the flame on the background, it's distant and behind the mist, but I think it should be brighter. Just give it a try, maybe increasing the glow will do fine.

ZVAN
09-05-2003, 07:04 PM
SUPERB LIGHTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 texs are good... and nice work on the modelling.... =):applause:

AJE
09-05-2003, 07:15 PM
I love it.
As far as the mood goes, it's awesome... you've really captured a feeling of a beautiful place that has either been abandoned, conquered, or has become a shadow of what it once was.
The lights are on, so someone is still hanging on to that dying world/time. Beautifully painfully poetic.
I kept trying to look past the edges of the frame, wanting to see more of the area. I want to know more about the people that built it... and what happened to them. It's very rare that a picture intrigues me. Good job.

The only bit I am iffy on is the texture on the sides of the arches (specifically the closest ones on the Z axis in the center)... they seem to be stretched...
Also on those two arches, where they attach to the wall kinda bugs me for some reason... I have never seen architecture like that, so I have no real world reference for the construction of those arches. Their bases don't seem sturdy enough.

Like I said, I haven't seen them like that in the real world, so I don't know if you built it based on reference photos or not.
I could just be me...

Cheers,
AJE

PS Thanks for the kick ass new desktop!

Fatalis
09-05-2003, 07:56 PM
It's simply superb! I like it SO much :)

siftingsand
09-05-2003, 08:12 PM
very good! a nice piece, I really like the moutains in the background and the mood.

Robbert
09-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Great image!!! :buttrock:
For some reason it looks paintlike, i am wondering how you manage to get that paint effect in your 3d image?

The only crit i have is that anti-aliasing is not good at some places, like the arches...

Keep up the good work!

Artifex
09-05-2003, 09:56 PM
Hello, I did not take the time to read the hole threads but here are my comment.

You should add some blur to the mountains. Make it progressing: the top more blured then the bottom...

And play around in them with the dodge and burn tool to create areas of light. To my taste the black in the spaces that are in shadow is too black. We should be able to see the details in there. I think you should also add a metalic bump (scraches and ondulations of the metal) for the torch that is on the ground.

Other the that it is a really butifull picture. You have a kind of lord of the ring essence to it.

Chears!

rusdom
09-05-2003, 10:19 PM
The re-work looks great.... (not that it didn't before!! :)) I am inspired by your work....

Raphael-Lacoste
09-06-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by AJE
I love it.

The only bit I am iffy on is the texture on the sides of the arches (specifically the closest ones on the Z axis in the center)... they seem to be stretched...
Also on those two arches, where they attach to the wall kinda bugs me for some reason... I have never seen architecture like that, so I have no real world reference for the construction of those arches. Their bases don't seem sturdy enough.

Like I said, I haven't seen them like that in the real world, so I don't know if you built it based on reference photos or not.
I could just be me...

Cheers,
AJE

PS Thanks for the kick ass new desktop!

thanks all! :)

I didn't take any inspiration from photo or real places for this environment, I'm more inspired by the 19th century painters like Jean leon Gerome and David Roberts, they are great Orientalists painters! and yes, also the work of Dusso, amazing matte painter... I'm not interseted in recreation of reality, fancy is more facinating, and 3D can allow you to do so much things that its appears to be a waste of time to reproduce exactly reality ... lets be more panterly! :beer:

gsuhy
09-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Excellent work!! The only thing I might change is the background. A house/structure like this would probably be built at the top of a mountain rather than the base. A view looking down upon some rolling hills/river, etc would be cool... ("location, location".. people are always willing to spend more on a house with a view)

draconix
09-06-2003, 01:06 AM
Very nice, nothing to crit beyond what has been mentioned already.

Hollis J Wood
09-06-2003, 01:16 AM
Mine eyes have seen the glory, fantastic work.

Demetrius
09-06-2003, 02:32 AM
HI. ermm i not sure if this has been established already but how long did that frame take to render?

Nice image by the way. the fog is excellent and the lighting is superb

:buttrock:

BlueFish
09-06-2003, 03:07 AM
Great care to detail... attention to bumps and variation in the scene is great... couple of quick comments:
1. The torch in front is a little to "perfect". If it fell over, it wouldn't be like that. It would probably be on the ground. Perhaps dent or deform it a little would give the impression that something happened to it. Right now it looks like somebody intentionally placed it there.

2. The arches are a little too perfect... again looks like they were well formed rather than run down. Perhaps rough it up a little more... do a little more "destructive" modelling... adding in imperfections... cracks, breakages... hanging bits.. dust/cobwebs... just general dirt.

BlueFish

F. Hultqvist
09-06-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by El Rafo
I'm not interseted in recreation of reality, fancy is more facinating, and 3D can allow you to do so much things that its appears to be a waste of time to reproduce exactly reality ... lets be more panterly! :beer:

I never understood some people's facination to recreate reality perfectly:shrug: Stylized works are so much more personal . . . Anyways, this is certainly alot better then your moose, or was it carribou entry:p

Hope to keep seeing more of your work here, it's fantastic!!

mage111
09-06-2003, 06:57 AM
wow eerily beautiful, i love it, should be very proud, when someone actaully feels something when looking at that - you know you've done it right ;-)
and im definitely feeling like i need to take a bottle of mace w/ me going in there. :-)

GJ keep it up

Raphael-Lacoste
09-06-2003, 07:40 AM
hellooo F. Hultqvist :)
I didn't recognize you in your previous posts... sorry :surprised
how are u doing? did you find what you were looking for?
see ya!

shadowkeeper
09-06-2003, 11:42 AM
Ssssssweeeeeeeeet! How long it take?:surprised
Jesus! This is very :drool: Congratulatons:applause:

Franc
09-06-2003, 12:51 PM
The atmosphere is good:thumbsup:

Raphael-Lacoste
09-06-2003, 01:52 PM
the wire :)
have a good day!

http://raphael.lacoste.free.fr/ftp/CG_forums/wire-shade2.jpg

Rano
09-06-2003, 02:08 PM
I hope, that I, at one day, will be as good as you are in 3D modelling... This is so beautiful!! :drool: :love:

Mully
09-06-2003, 04:51 PM
Outstanding!

:cool:

-Christopher Mullins
www.blueshortfilm.com

cgtalkmember
09-06-2003, 05:34 PM
b e u tifull :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ramcy
09-06-2003, 07:44 PM
:applause: Oo....It's feels great realy...It's feels so far...for my way to try hard..!

F. Hultqvist
09-06-2003, 09:11 PM
Not many people recognize me after I changed my name . . . it will take some time getting used to.

As for your question, nope, so I found something else, no worries:) But now that it's over, I have some free time to enter a few contests here and there. I would have been in this month's cgtalk contest if the topic was something other then Circus Freaks:hmm:

I don't usually visit the finished works gallery section, but I saw this very nice thumbnail on the front page, and checked it out. Your skill in environments is getting better and better, I hope I don't miss your next entry here, keep up the great work!

See you around:beer:

copyninja
09-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Great work!

JonasNoell
09-07-2003, 02:57 PM
I'm sorry to say: But you rock! :beer:
Browsed around in your website a big and I REALLY loved these outstanding realtimeenvironments you did in this large city of NewYork. In which game are they seen? :eek:

Raphael-Lacoste
09-07-2003, 03:17 PM
hi cANt :)

unfortunately, you won't see this BG in any game anyware...
the compagny closed just befor a big deal with NC soft on the
"Highlander" MMO... but I'm still proud of what we did! just a shame, like a lot of other game developed for...nothing:annoyed:
but, If you want to be comforted, here is the link of the game I'm working on actually and you'll be able to play it for christmas :)

see ya!

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/princeofpersiathesot/preview_6073107.html

http://www.prince-of-persia.com/tale05/indexb.html
hope they'll change that awful logo:surprised

Steel GER
09-07-2003, 03:24 PM
woooow !
I really like it . A lot of atmosphere.
One of the best pics i have ever seen !

Greetings Steel

starqueen
09-07-2003, 05:32 PM
im in awe... :D :D :D

Biohazard
09-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Wow !
As usual, very nice work Raph.
I love the way you warmed the whole place with aestetic lights (such as on the left side where they shouldn't be there).

A bit too much of glow perhaps ?
...My 2 cents dans ton U as Pascal said. ;)

Irratio
09-07-2003, 09:17 PM
Just my opinion.

plus::
- The image reminds me of old gamelike style renders (a mixture between Bullfrog's "Dungen Keeper" Intro and the first videos of Blizzard's "Diablo I&II"), for example in the way the light of the torches casts on the pilars. This is just personal, but it evokes a very homelike feeling for me, like sitting in front of the Pc in a winter evening with a hot cup of tea and ..."dip" into a fantasy place with monsters and mages.

-I think the minus someone remarked with the flatness of the mountains in my opinion adds instead more dramatic into the scene turning it into some kind of a stage where you know the actor is coming just in a moment.

minus: :

-The brightest part of the sky, in the right gateway, seems to be splitted by some kind of texture line.

So far. "Keep up the good work". Honestly.

greengold
09-07-2003, 09:58 PM
Your work is quite stunning. The intricate detail on the columns is
awesome, really sets the piece. Great work!:thumbsup:

nomad_girl
09-08-2003, 01:30 AM
beautiful lighting and atmosphere--- strong sense of mood.

i agree with other posts about the flatness of the mountains....

would be interesting to see the same scene different times of day--- kind of like monet's cathedral studies perhaps...

great work!

Raphael-Lacoste
09-08-2003, 04:01 AM
veri interesting nomadgirl :)

I was just thinking to do that with a sunrise light,
when I"ll have a few time :)

cheers!

LaDoSKuRo
09-08-2003, 05:07 AM
Amazing enviroment, the cold blue of the stones of mountains VS that orange/yellow of the hand of civilization. Really nice work.

Vesuvando
09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Your updated version is even better.
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
TOP work !

That is one of the reason why I (try to) practice 3D.
But still FAR away from this quality.

I would like to see more of your work.

lildragon
09-10-2003, 12:49 PM
It's all been said here already, but I just love the atmosphere. And the update on the flame was much needed. Excellent work man there's not much more to say.

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Great work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_sept03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com so I can send you the award .psd file

salud

Airflow
09-11-2003, 11:45 PM
absoultly brilliant... no crits whatsoever....

Intonater
09-17-2003, 02:25 PM
I really love your image!

:applause:

cermit
09-19-2003, 02:57 PM
wow wow wow :applause: :applause: :applause:
Amazing pic Amazing atmosphere.....excellent job.....

Mr.Prince21
10-01-2003, 07:04 PM
great scene, gave me tha chills
kind of reminds me of a resident evil scene:scream:

Climax
10-24-2003, 11:52 PM
rendering time?

miao3d
10-25-2003, 05:08 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
i like it so much.....

allenatl
10-28-2003, 03:54 PM
For anyone wondering what the goal of the new Evocative forum should be:
This picture is a perfect example.

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.