PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Showreel | VFX | Motion Design | 3d Animation

ArvidSchneider
03-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Hello,
This is my mixed Reel, all projects are completely done by myself, filming, modeling, animating, keying. The work was done for several small companies in Germany.
Some feedback would be appreciated.

Showreel 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzoS2ihPYRE)

JackEbensteiner
03-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey there, you have a pretty nice reel. I have a few crits for you, if you'd like them.

First off, I'd say that I would keep the title card very simple. Just a simple, but professional, title card with your name, what you are applying for, and your contact information. I'd also have that show at the end. I've read a number of articles about how recruiters/hiring managers will look at reels and they often don't bother with ones that have the fancy title. It's because they look at tons and tons of reels all of the time, they don't want to see that you can make a fancy title, they want to know who you are and can see your work.

Second, I think you have a good length for the reel. Keeping it short is good. However, I think that you have your work kind of broken up and disjointed. There are sections of one piece scattered throughout - like the car stuff, the guy rapping/singing etc. I would keep each of those things together and wouldn't break them up.

Third, try to only show your best work - don't show all of it. Since you're only as strong as you're weakest piece, I would take out the things that aren't quite as good as most of your work. Also you flash by some of the work really quickly - like the beautifully rendered room at 0:42.

Hopefully thats helpful - I tried to be kind of nitpicky and thorough, so don't misunderstand. You have a lot of beautiful work :) There are just some things you could do to present it in such a way that'd be more impactful to whoever will be seeing it at these studios. So good work :D

ArvidSchneider
03-10-2010, 11:32 AM
Wow, thanks for you feedback. Its really helpful, for my next reel I will definitely make use of your tips.
What would you consider as weak projects?

ArvidSchneider
03-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Come on guys..its important

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2010, 09:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.