PDA

View Full Version : Hair and fabrics

CollisionChaos
03-08-2010, 01:05 PM
Hello there.

Right, here's my problem - I've been practicing a lot in Photoshop painting (every day) and have got to a fairly competant level but there's a couple of things I'm having problems with that I hope some of you can help with.

First is hair - I've followed a lot of tutorials on hair and know the basics, but my problem is when it comes to individual strands (and the odd locke of hair) that flow away from the head (such as someone's wavy hair being lightly blown in the wind). It's hard to explain what I mean without examples, but the strands usually appear too thick no matter what brush I use. A thinner brush will make it appear too messy or invisible if zoomed out. Just doesn't look right anyway. I have a feeling I'm just messing up with the brush settings here but nothing I try seems to work to a good enough standard.

Another problem is with painting fabrics. For example clothing such as denim - I know how to get the look using filters but I'm being quite picky with things at the moment and want to practice with just brushes in a traditional way (it's a practice thing). No matter what brush I use it doesn't look right - any advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Lunatique
03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Without seeing your failed attempts it's very hard to help you. Post some examples so we can see what you're doing wrong.

CollisionChaos
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the reply but I actually managed to sort it last night - just needed some patience and some time experimenting with different brushes and settings until I managed to get the look I want.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.