PDA

View Full Version : Vue to Photoshop DPI question

DarrelRhea
03-08-2010, 06:15 AM
Trying to maintain high rez for printing. I render in Vue 8 and set the DPI to 300, I save it as a Tiff and don't use any compression. When I open the rendering in photoshop, it shows as 72 DPI. The rendering seems to take longer when set at 300, but I'm not getting the benefit. Is this likely a Photoshop preferences issue? (I can't find anything to set a default DPI in Photoshop) Is it a Tiff issue? or is there something I need to do in Vue?

any ideas would be appreciated, thanks

lateball
03-08-2010, 06:30 AM
In the render options, change your units to inches. You currently have them set to pixels.

electricphoto
03-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Your original render may be OK. In photoshop, open your image, then open the Image->Image Size panel... uncheck resample image then type in 300 dpi where it was 72dpi...
Photoshop will recalculate the size to fit the same amount of pixels you rendered. If the size is what you intended - save the image and it will now be 300dpi.

Picture size and dpi are related. A 100 pixels wide image can be 1 inch wide at 100dpi, or 10 inches wide at 10dpi. It's the same image - just trading off size for DPI.

Also, to save on render time you don't actually have to do 300dpi renders for print though that is the standard in the industry. The actual DPI required is just under 1.5 X the line screen: that is for a 150 line screen printing, 225dpi is all that is required.

The publishing industry uses 300 dpi. because it has extra resolution that enables designers to resize the image a bit and not have resolution problems. It's also so commonly used that nobody thinks about it any more.

When rendering, it can save quite a bit of time to make an image just the right size.

DarrelRhea
03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the info, very useful! Will try several versions at different DPI now to compare. Darrel

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2010, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.