PDA

View Full Version : Resisting temptation... the novice dilema

redpandafire
03-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm an total beginner to sketching, 2D/3D art as a whole. I'm working on building a portfolio to show art school, and hoping they will see my determination to become an artist.

My question is how does a novice resist the temptation to go ALL OUT and build the most intricate and detailed scene he/she can think of? This obviously wastes LOADS of time, but provides some learning experience in the form of failure to reach expectations. Which is a nice good reality check and slap in the face. I know because I just got metaphorically slapped by all the negative feedback I received on my latest work, where I put days of work into, only to receive the almighty neutral "meh, i seen you do better" response from my friends.

Here is where I am at today in terms of my sketching.
http://s768.photobucket.com/albums/xx325/redpandafire/Sketches%20of%20February%202010/

Obviously my ultimate goal would be to reach pro status, get a nice place in competitions, or somehow be featured in books.

But today I must resist those grandiose dreams, somehow..... Does anyone else get this dilema? What do you do when your heart says GO BIG, but your pencil says "your still too small"?

I hope I am communicating this idea well. I hope for some feedback. Thanks!

Lunatique
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
I think you should indulge your desire to have FUN, first and foremost. The best kind of learning is while you're having fun. Whether the result will be satisfactory is more like a secondary goal. Of course, while constructing epic projects, you should try your very best, and try to push yourself beyond your comfort zone so you are reaching for greater heights--it's that effort you put into the research, analysis, planning, and thoughtful execution that will take your work up a notch in quality.

I think whether a project is epic or modest doesn't really change anything, since you'll be creating and learning with either one. More ambitious projects simply take more planning and more time, that's all.

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.