PDA

View Full Version : How much time?

Turbonium
09-04-2003, 05:27 AM
How much time (hours) does it typically take for a computer literate (and skilled) person to generally master Photoshop 7.0 with no previous Photoshop experience? I mean, not to do anything amazing like make this: pic (http://www.wade.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Finaldiagram.png), but just to be able to manipulate an image (or create one from scratch) to what you imagined it to be. Maybe not perfectly exactly, but to be decently skilled with most of the tools and a few filters here and there...

singularity2006
09-04-2003, 05:31 AM
computer literacy has nothing to do with mastering photoshop. It has to do with your own creative ability to reason with the tools and filters that are given as your tools. Learning the tools is quick. Figuring out how to use them in good unison and order takes a while regardless of your expertise in anything.

Stroker
09-04-2003, 06:13 AM
I've been at it since version 2.5 and I can't come anywhere near that. Then again, I'm not exactly a painter.

As far as painting goes, there are two things that I do that seem to work for me:
1. Pick something and detail the hell out of it in small areas. For example, go to town on the eyes, but forget about the lips. I've got several digital paintings that I've been working on for around a year or so, just taking it a few pixels at a time.
2. Speed painting. This really helps with "efficiency of movement".

As far as PhotoShop in general goes, just play with it as often as possible. When I first got started, I was at it for at least 2 hours a day just dinking around. As I'm so fond of saying: play, fiddle, and learn.

bumskee
09-04-2003, 07:36 AM
can't put numbers on it i think...
you just do it and one day look back and u can do a decent job..
but like everyone else said..
spend heaps of hours on PS each day, play with everything there is to play with.. read lots of tuts, and TRY them urself even just to copy..you sort of get the hang of it after a while..

painting like the one you provided is a different story..it's doens't have much to do with PS, except for few tools..

:beer:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.