PDA

View Full Version : Borg Cube in Truespace 4

Chris_Wallace
09-04-2003, 03:17 AM
I guess this belongs here. This cube is at the usability threshold of mt PC. This thing is so heavy it chugs.

I am thinking about eliminating a side or 2- sides that are unseen.

Also, I hate the interior illumination. I kinda like the ship without it... but for the scene I have in mind, interior illumination will be needed.

Any suggestions out there?

CW

http://home.comcast.net/~3dcgi/borg.JPG

Lord_Snip
09-04-2003, 04:10 AM
Wow
a lot of details !

if I were you, I would keep all the side , in the case where that would try to make an animation later

rebo
09-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Thats really nice, tho doesnt TS4 have a kind of reference function where you can use a cube as stand in geo while you animate, then use the full model for rendering ?

Chris_Wallace
09-04-2003, 04:50 AM
If it does, I would really like to use it.

CW

drdoppler
09-06-2003, 09:40 AM
The amount of detail you put into this is really astounding! Really good work!

In tS 4, there is an option to render an object as a box while you move around the scene or move the object. Right click on the draw objects icon ( icon that allows you to change between wireframe and solid render and so on ) and you will get the display option window. There will be a detail option at the bottom. Set that to 'All in Boxes' and now every object in the scene will be represented by a box when you move it or the viewport around.
I hope this helps. :beer:

Oh, btw, may we see a wireframe?

- drdoppler

Chris_Wallace
09-06-2003, 04:38 PM
Yes, I know of the "all always boxes" option. That speeds the system up to a really slow crawl. It's almost a rock if I keep the display to default :D

I've removed one side- the side farthest from the camera. It helps a little bit. A little.

Still working out the lighting.

CW

Chris_Wallace
09-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Wire.

http://home.comcast.net/~cwallace001/borg_wire.JPG

CW

drdoppler
09-06-2003, 09:23 PM
I don't know if your interested, but I have found another possible solution of moving your cube around with out eating all of your resources.

WARNING : I would make a backup of your scene before trying. I have tried this and on some occasions and if I did something incorrect it caused tS to crash.

Make sure you are in one of the wireframe modes. Make a cube primitive of equal size to your borg cube. Paint this new cube with a plain transparency/opacity of 0. Right click on the object tool icon. The object info box will appear. Select the render options box and make sure this new cube does not cast or recieve shadows. Select your borg cube. Click and hold the 'undo icon' and a group of icons will appear above it. Select the 'group several objects together as a level of detail representations' icon. You will now get a glue cursor. Glue the new cube with the borg cube.

Now you should only see your borg cube. In the object info window the LOD distance should read '10.000000'. Change that to 0. Move the viewport back until the borg cube turns into the primitive cube. The LOD distance box should now read '20.000000'. Change that to 0 as well. Now your borg cube will all ways be represented by a primitive cube until you render it.

Nice wire! What is face count on that?

- drdoppler

Chris_Wallace
09-08-2003, 06:37 AM
I'll go back later and give that LOD a try. For now, I'll post an illumination that I was doing.

What I have shown... well, I hate it. But, I think it suggests to me what direction I should take.

# vertices- 628435
# faces- 433520

http://home.comcast.net/~cwallace001/borg_lit.JPG

CW

drdoppler
09-08-2003, 06:59 AM
D A N G ! ! !

I just created a sphere with a similar face count to get an idea of what you are working with and it indeed eats a load of resources.

I went ahead and retried the LOD with this new shere and it didn't work at first. What I had to do was QUAD DIVIDE the primitive cube once and then use it. I don't know why that made it work but it did.

You should be proud of your cube, you have put an incredible amount of work into it. What do you ultimately plan on doing with this cube?

- drdoppler

Chris_Wallace
09-08-2003, 07:42 AM
I tried the LOD thing, and , I'm sorry to say, it doesn't seem to work. The cube stays and the dummy / primitive goes. If I try to do it other ways, then both the dummy and the cube disapear. And no- Ido not desire to try quad dividing it either.

Sounded like a good idea tho. I'll keep trying it tho.

I am happy with it... now I just gotta light it.

My ultimate plan is to create a simple Borg scene- maybe a couple of them.

CW

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.