PDA

View Full Version : Volume shader for dust?

Shad0wDK
03-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Hello,
I am new to Softimage and I am trying to create an animated logo where the logo in two pieces fall down to a surface. Part of the idea is then to have some dust whirl up in the air when the objects hit the surface.
I have set up a gravity force and created the objects and that works as intented. I then setup some particles to be emitted when the objects hit the surface. So far so good.

Then I was gonna try to set up an appropriate volume shader, but there are so many parameters and options to use. I tried to find a tutorial going through the setup of the volume shader, but I haven't been able to find anything, so I would like to ask here if anyone could give me some tips or link to a good tutorial?

Thanks in advance.

Sbowling
03-08-2010, 08:14 AM
This should help:

http://www.filefactory.com/f/c61e113b52c5164d/

If you go to http://www.Redi-Vivus.com/index4.php (http://www.Redi-Vivus.com/index4.php) and enter your email the will send you a link to a whole bunch of tutorials. Everything under the Certified 7.x HiRes Folder heading is very good. Autodesk should have just shipped these with V7+ instead of that digital tutors crap. I actually paid for a Filefactory subscription so I could download all of these at once.

Shad0wDK
03-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Thats some nice tutorials you got there, and they helped me to successfully made my particles look like dust, but I am now facing another problem.

I added a volumic spot light to light up the scene, but the pointcloud I made to imitate the dust when the logo hits the ground, interferes with this volumic light. The pointcloud "box" is clearly visible as it removes the volumic effects from the spotlight, and it looks really bad :(

Is there any way to fix this? I hope I made my issue clear - else please ask me to elaborate.

Fongool
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Render them seperately and composite?

Sbowling
03-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Those aren't my tutorials, just passing on the link. :) As Fongool said, render them out as passes and composite them together.

Thats some nice tutorials you got there, and they helped me to successfully made my particles look like dust, but I am now facing another problem.

I added a volumic spot light to light up the scene, but the pointcloud I made to imitate the dust when the logo hits the ground, interferes with this volumic light. The pointcloud "box" is clearly visible as it removes the volumic effects from the spotlight, and it looks really bad :(

Is there any way to fix this? I hope I made my issue clear - else please ask me to elaborate.

Shad0wDK
03-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks a lot for the replies. Do I understand it correctly that I could basically render the sequence with no dust particles and then render the dust alone in a separate pass? And then mix those two passes.

Gonna look into how to do that, haven't rendered into different passes and composited them before - but I should be able to figure that out :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2010, 08:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.