PDA

View Full Version : Root Joint Question?

Zinq
03-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I've been learning Maya for the last 8 months and lately have been working on my first rig. In some tutorials the joint layout will have a root, hip, spine01, spine02...(or something similar). Other tutorials I've seen don't have the root, and just start with the hip joint. If I'm able to control all the movements of the hips (in a human character) with the hip joint, why would I need the root joint? I've set up a rig with controls where I can go without the root joint and it seems to work just fine without it. Just curious if I am missing something.

Thanks.

Darksuit
03-05-2010, 05:39 PM
The base or Root joint of a rig can be called anything you want to, it is mostly a naming convention standard, It is not something you have to use. The term Root refers to the structure of the heirarchy.

If you think of the heriarchy like a tree you have the root, trunk, and branches. If you move the Root everything else has to move. If you move the trunk the Roots are still in place anchoring the tree in place. so if gives you a sway effect. the same is true for the branches.

Hope this makes some sense.

Zinq
03-06-2010, 12:03 AM
David,

Thank you for the clarification and now I understand. I just tested it with a root joint. Now with the root control, I can control the whole upper body, and with the hip control only the hips with the shoulders staying in place. Don't know how I missed that.

Thank you,

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2010, 12:03 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.