alexanderzagoruyko
03-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Automatic rigging system for bipedal characters

http://alexanderzagoruyko.ru/projects/autorig/pics/pic1.jpg

The system consists of 3 files:

Script that generates a rig
Selector script
Tuners to adjust rig to characters

Here you can download character binded to the rig.
http://alexanderzagoruyko.ru/projects/autorig/scriptedRig.rar

Some of features:
IK/FK/ElbowFix(KneeFix) for arms and legs
IK/FK for fingersStretch/Squash with ability to save volume
StretchRig - this is an additional system to control shape of neck,shoulder,arm,leg and fingers
Dynamic parent
Forced scaling for each joint (for example, arm, forearm)
Selector allows to use seamless parent switching, seamless IK/FK switching.

The system costs 50$!
For more information please write me to azagoruyko@gmail.com

Youtube video of the system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcfYjGdl4E

woadiestyol
03-05-2010, 08:46 AM
Looks awesome!

KielFiggins
03-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Looks nice. How does it handle non symetrical characters and non T Pose - 90 degree limbs?

alexanderzagoruyko
03-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Looks nice. How does it handle non symetrical characters and non T Pose - 90 degree limbs?
Hi, there is no problem with it. Each hand, leg, finger is created individually. You can generate character with no hands even or with one hand only.

alexanderzagoruyko
03-05-2010, 09:14 PM
No problem with it. Each arm, leg and finger is created individually. You can even generate non-handed characted or a character with one hand only. You can easily generate non-symmetric characters. :rolleyes:

alexanderzagoruyko
03-06-2010, 06:37 AM
No problem with it. Each arm,leg and finger is created individually. You can generate even no-handed character or a character with one hand only.
Anyway you can easily make unsymmetric characters.

Remi
03-06-2010, 03:59 PM
going to have a look at the rigged character, if I like it, i'll be buying it today. Thanks for the hard work.

alexanderzagoruyko
03-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Who has tested demo character? http://alexanderzagoruyko.ru/projects/a tedRig.rar
It is very interesting to know opinions.

StefanA
03-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Looks like a very complete system. But from what I see in the video it runs on Windows, but does it work on OSX and Linux? (we don't use any Windows machines at all).

regards
stefan andersson

alexanderzagoruyko
03-14-2010, 11:48 AM
Looks like a very complete system. But from what I see in the video it runs on Windows, but does it work on OSX and Linux? (we don't use any Windows machines at all).

Hi, Stefan. I think there will not be any problems in this situation. The system is a MEL-script.
I use only standard Maya commands such as pointConstraint. Interface was also created with MEL commands. No file manipulations here.

art_3d
03-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I had a look at the rig. I've used TSM pretty much exlusively for the last
5 years or so and it has served me well.

I loved all the control in the rig. All the shaping things and volume stuff.
I'm pretty busy so could'nt test to much. There were some basic things
like the foot setup that seemed to lack control in terms of pivoting etc.

Does it have animatable pivots at all? Whats the skinning workflow?

I am looking for a modular rigging system for my short film. I'd need
to be able to create legs without feet, arms without hands etc. Is this acheivable?

It's a great rig I would need to test it more though.

I may contact you personally to get more details.

Thanks for making this available.

alexanderzagoruyko
03-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Does it have animatable pivots at all?
You cannot set pivot on every part of a foot. Pivots are only on heel and on toes.
Anyway, I think it's not a problem. This rig is scriptable. If you want to add some feature just add it to script or tell me about it. I'll add it.

I'd need to be able to create legs without feet, arms without hands etc. Is this acheivable?
Yes, you can generate rig without feet,hands,fingers or make rig with one hand only, for example.

modi
06-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Hi there, its hard to test out the rig without any geo and deformations. But overall it felt kinda slow with only the joints and controls. Im assuming its because of all those extra joints for the bendy stuff?
Is there a way to get improved speed by not having those optional?

tonytouch
06-03-2010, 10:58 PM
yeah ,

this one looks nice ... from what i see
- i like the hierarchy , which i see in the outliner - maybe you can add some more hierarchical "grouping" in the "other"-group ( e.g. the "finger_groups" could be grouped into a "hand"_group - just to clean up hierarchy a bit )
- some basic ( simple ) smoothbinded-geometry would be good , in order to see the final deformation - e.g. on the wrist - else , someone who wants to test the rig , cannot see , how it feels and deforms in action

- with all the special-features such as "space_blending" turned "on" or the rubber-hose arms/legs the rig somehow feels a bit slow . i guess it could be faster ( e.g. if not all special-features are turned on )

- concerning turning on and off the "stretch" for legs and arms : i like it more , if one can blend this in , rather than switching it on or off .

feature you might want to improve:
- the spine is right now "just FK" ? maybe it would be great to have a FK_IK_system .

features you might additionally add on:
- "isolation" on the FK_arms and legs . ( upper arms / legs )
- IK_damping on the stretchy Arms and legs ( results in a smoother stretch )
- autoknee ... so the IK_kneeControl always stays inbetween foot and hip

overall , i like it ! you do not use any expressions , and from what i see , the control_interface looks also nice .

great work !

alexanderzagoruyko
06-04-2010, 05:23 AM
modi
Hi there, its hard to test out the rig without any geo and deformations. But overall it felt kinda slow with only the joints and controls. Im assuming its because of all those extra joints for the bendy stuff?
Is there a way to get improved speed by not having those optional?
This is a rigging system but not a deformation system. I think mesh is not needed here.
Slow? Oh. My PC shows 24 fps.

tonytouchThanks for comments. I'll try to add some features in new release.

tonytouch
06-04-2010, 11:21 AM
well, a simple GEO would be indeed very important from my point of view - to see how the RIG DOES - and what kind of basic deformation comes out of the body-rig , if a user tests your rig , he/she does not want to create a geo for himself , before testing , how the rig acts .

just from "seeing-the bones" , you never really know , how the bones finally twist ( e.g. spine , or forearm , upperarm-twist , extreme-poses and so on ) . and usually what animators do first is to switch off "show joints" in the viewport/display ... in order not to accidently selecting any of them

so for a "demorig" having a simple-geo is actually very important , as , all what matters is deformation ( in the end ) - so it would be extremely important for potential customers to "see" some kind of simple mesh .

i would personally also include a maya-file , with the rig referenced and a simple demo-animation of the extreme-poses ( range of motion ) ... this is , what the people want to see - how far can i twist the forearm , how does everything stretch (e.g. the volumeKeep of the arms/legs - which seems to be integrated in your rig) - you simply cannot see any of these effects , if you dont have a geometry smoothbinded to the joints

and this just needs to be a very simple geo ( but it should be smoothbinded , with some basic-skinweights

i guess , you would receive more feedback and opinions , when you attach a simple but efficient-geometry .

alexanderzagoruyko
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I have uploaded new version of the demorig with a geometry.
Please, test it:
http://alexanderzagoruyko.ru/projects/autorig/scriptedRig.rar

tonytouch
06-04-2010, 05:44 PM
hi alex,

just a few things , i can see now , as there is geometry attached to the rig:

-----------------
look-control:
when "look" is following "head"-space , it is not moving proper when using the headStretch_control

fk_controls ( mirror_behaviour )
most animators like it , if the "behaviour" for the FK_controls is "symmetrical" ( once you grab e.g. upperArm FKs for left and right side - and rotate them ) - you did this , for the shoulders , but not for the arms

ik_fk-blending ( legs )
the foot itself (ankle,ball) , flips , while blending - once an animator would do some heavy jumping-sequence ( with blending in each jumpStep ) . might not be possible with blending ( just a finesse )

-----------------------------------
possible addon:
visibility of controls:
what about making a "visibility"-control - where users can simply turn on or off , the visibility of the control_curves ? e.g. for turning off all the finger_controls , or Larm , Rarm , spine , head , Lleg , Rleg

--------
maybe change some controls ... but that is just "my taste"
numberOfControls:
i personally dont like so much , to have 2 controls on the feet - you could delete one of the controls ( the sphere_foot_control ) and just add those attributes to the IK_foot_control - that way , animators would not have to jump front and back - between both of the controls when animating step-walk-sequences ... but i also guess , animators get used to it . so this is not so important.

also not so important:
r_leg_control ( left , right / arms , legs ):
you could get rid of those as well , in order to have less controls , you could use an invisible shapeNode , add all the attributes to it , and then parent -add -shape (just the shape) below each of your L_arm_control ( so the "kinematic" / ikfk_blend - attribute would be accessable from any of the conotrl_curves , within the channel-box ( secondary-shape-theory )

-----------------
fk_arms :
i see , you did some arm_isolation , but just for the "chest"-control
it might be good - to make this "space_blending"-orientation-behaviour also available for the "pelvis"-Control or the "main"-Control - so once you rotate the chest_control , the upperarm_FKs could also follow more smoothly .

same (isolation) could be added for the FK_legs ...
one can animate e.g. fast_rushing_run-cycles a lot better , when the upperleg_FKs are isolated but this depends on the animator , some like to blend into FK , while the foot is off the ground - and some like to animate completely in IK .

------
well, just a few ( tiny ) bugs that i found so far - and some ideas for the future ... overall , the rigs seems very nice , from a first glance ( but without testanimating it ) .

alexanderzagoruyko
06-04-2010, 06:41 PM
look-control:
when "look" is following "head"-space , it is not moving proper when using the headStretch_control

Thanks. I've corrected this bug.

fk_controls ( mirror_behaviour )
most animators like it , if the "behaviour" for the FK_controls is "symmetrical" ( once you grab e.g. upperArm FKs for left and right side - and rotate them ) - you did
this , for the shoulders , but not for the arms
Hi. I suggest animators work with my selector. This is a tool allows you to select control, make seamless kinematic and parent switching etc. Maybe I'll add this possibility to a rig.

ik_fk-blending ( legs )
the foot itself (ankle,ball) , flips , while blending - once an animator would do some heavy jumping-sequence ( with blending in each jumpStep ) . might not be possible with
blending ( just a finesse )
One should use the selector. Please, show me that flips. I've tested the system many times...

possible addon:
visibility of controls:
what about making a "visibility"-control - where users can simply turn on or off , the visibility of the control_curves ? e.g. for turning off all the finger_controls , or
Larm , Rarm , spine , head , Lleg , Rleg
Yeah, it is an interesting idea. I'll try to add this feature in nearest future.

maybe change some controls ... but that is just "my taste"
numberOfControls:
i personally dont like so much , to have 2 controls on the feet - you could delete one of the controls ( the sphere_foot_control ) and just add those attributes to the
IK_foot_control - that way , animators would not have to jump front and back - between both of the controls when animating step-walk-sequences ... but i also guess , animators
get used to it . so this is not so important.
Oh, my recent release has 5 foot controls :)
I think controls are more easy to use then attributes.
I can not satisfy everyone.

tonytouch
06-04-2010, 09:54 PM
yeah ... every animator has some techniques he/she preferes - having the controls , like in your rig - is cool . i personally tend to be using as less anim_controls as possible . so e.g. i would not make 2 controls for the first finger-segment ( one for translate , one for rotate ) ... i would just use one ... same for the foot ( heelRoll_attributes ) - most leg_IK_systems i have seen so far , just use 1 control for positioning , and rolling the foot . anyway - it is OK , as it is .

---
about the "fk_ik_blend"-flipping : never mind , it is not really important , it just happens , when you blend between extreme-poses , and that is usually very easy to deal with , during the animation-process .

anyway .. its a great rig !

--------
@edit:
yeah , btw... i like the music in the video

CGTalk Moderation
06-04-2010, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.