PDA

View Full Version : Polygon modeling: Avoid pinching.

PrayingMantis
03-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to find any technique which explain how to avoid pinching while doing hard edge modeling.

I found it was the most technical challenge, but I can't find any ressources about this common problem.
You can even find pinching on great model, like the marine from blizzard (don't get me wrong I am not saying that their model are bad).

I think that would be good to see such a ressource, because now polygonal modeling has been hidden by Zbrush fame, but it's still a very important skill to have.

But maybe I am wrong and you can't avoid 0 pinching with polygonnal modeling like you can with nurbs.

Any thought about this would be welcome.

Testure
03-05-2010, 06:06 AM
this is a very long and complicated subject, and it has already been discussed at great length on this very forum.

PrayingMantis
03-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I found this thread who seems to be interesting but unfortunatly it is mostly illustrated and the pictures are not available.
And that's part of what I was saying by not being able to find any ressources about this subject.

If you want to find something about polymodeling you got tons of stuff, DVD, article or forum thread.
But for a subject of this importance I can't find the same amount of information.
Plus in this sub-section Hard body of the modeling Forum, you can't find anything about it.

If you have this kind of information you could post a link, maybe I'll look stupid but at least you will help me to be a little more informed about this subject.

Btw thank you for your answer.

I keep searching.

KevBoy
03-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Check out, if you haven't as such:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=CYrgwONjyX8&v=k_S1INdEmdI

PrayingMantis
03-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Thank you for this video, it is really interesting and well presented. And their website as other
Even if I know these concepts it is a great video, but it arise more questions.

And I found an other great ressource for those who are in the same case as me.
Take a look at lightwiki:http: //www.lightwiki.com/Fundamentals_of_Subpatch_Modeling

It is really great, what I really like is how it is illustrated by many exemples.

A problem that I can't solve, is how to have a evenly quadrified object without eyeballing it?
If you are using Relax with the brush tool in maya you still have the edge who are sticked to their position, and using smooth totally deform your mesh.

The most difficult for me is to have a good mesh which is not base on any primitive, some freeform curved surface where you have to add creases.
It always result in pinches.

ZeroStrike
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Thank you. I am new to the industry and was having alot of these problems. Quad I understood were important to creating a better working mesh. I am guessing the key is to understand that you are having a problem and how to find a solution to it. This video was very helpful.

Doomc
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
As an upcoming modeler I'm also very interested on how to properly fix artifacts/pinches that just can't be avoided. I have been able to wing it and just keep trying different edge loops or split poly 'till it looks okay, but knowing how it actually works and to do it properly seems like an invaluable piece of knowledge. I've done some digging around as well and I agree with Mantis, that there aren't many places or posts explaining this in detail needed to understand it.

Btw here's another video http://vimeo.com/groups/37163/videos/10941211

CGTalk Moderation
07-21-2010, 09:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.