PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Smoke Character

Goro
09-03-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi there!

I need your help. We are working on a comercial for cigarettes.

The Idea:
Three students are smoking together. One of them creates
a ring of smoke in the air. Shortly after one of the other guys
starts blowing some smoke as well but we still can't see
his intention. A couple of scenes later we can see a woman
dancing on the table build out of smoke.

We are trying to build the character in fluids (polygon character + fluid container) but it doesn't work...it works only with
simple objects like a cylinder.

Right now we are trying particles without success.

Does anybody has an idea how we can visualize the smoke
character?

pyromania
09-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Model the character, then have particles emit from the surface of the character. Then make the character a goal for the particles. Or you could emit the particles into a cloud shape, then animate the goal weight on the character, so the particles slowly form the shape of the woman.

Goro
09-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Thnx pyromania.

My character is now a surface emitter. I reversed the normals
so that the particles emit to the inside of the characters body.
Then I made them collide with the body surface. That actually
works but I have no idea how to make the particles look like
real smoke. I tried to put a smoke effect on the particles and tried
to hardware render it but it didn't work...I can see the smoke
in the viewport but it takes way too much time to render it.

pyromania
09-03-2003, 11:35 PM
What type of particles are you using. If you use a multipoint partilce and apply a little motion blur to it you can get pretty good smoke FX

Or you could go with software particles, and use a cloud type. Then you can create a particle cloud shader and apply it to the particles. If you take some fractal noise, plug that into a stucco node, then plug that into the partilce cloud you can get some good whispy smoke.

Since you have fluids you could also create a 2d fluid texture, then plug that into your particle cloud shader.

tyson12zoll
09-04-2003, 09:28 AM
i know this is way off topic...and i hate to not have anything to contribute to your project...I just thought it was a little weird that an ad for ciggs would involve students...seems like a bad influence/marketing to teens.

Shame on the producer.

But hey, I understand you gotta work. I would probably do it too.

verbal007
09-11-2003, 04:54 AM
It just seems that something like this would be easiest handed during compositing phase. A container in the shape of a human, dancing around with particles bouncing around would be pretty difficult to pull off, while retaining the appearance of smoke. I keep seeing it looking like a fog phantom or somethin.

However, you could always us pyromania's idea with having the particles emit from the surface, but maybe have the goal set to the parentU/parentV when it's born (so they stick to the surface)and gradually let particles die off by detatching from the surface and flow upwards towards another animated goal, or just float away and fade out. Kinda like steam lifting off a 'fog phantom' (I just like the sound of it).

Well... hopefully you'll figure somethin out. Good luck and I hope you'll post the finished effect that we can see it.

- Jeremy

BigSky
09-11-2003, 04:40 PM
just some thoughts:

Paint effects (clouds, smoke) on cuves in your mesh to give you some volume.
emitters from a few "hot points" of your mesh (shoulders, head, etc)
You can perhaps look at sprites for your internal particles,
Or 'to hell with it', and composite a few multipoint, opacityPP passes.

Don't forget glows too! You can edit the opticalFX node with an animated 3d texture which will help.

I guess I'm saying no one technique will sell it for you.

antweiler
09-13-2003, 03:20 PM
Hi Goro, alter fuchs...

since cigarrette smoke moves very specific,you should concentrate on the movement, so do some research (but be careful, coz cigs are unhealhty and addictive) concentrate on the rendering later, maybe some half transparent, outfading geometry is good enough (like in the movie casper)
use different goalweights and softbodies to make the smoke split up, maybe it can emit some fluid. I imagine it definetely needs a lot of tweaking and frame by frame work and compositing, but when its worth it...

hmmm now it comes to my mind, you could render a dancing girl in the normal way, and map the animated frames on the density of a 2d fluid container, and add some swirling smoky effects with dynamic fields, dunno, what do the others think?

bis bald,

antweiler (robert)

Goro
09-14-2003, 01:04 AM
Hi guys! Thnx for your help. I tried most of the things you said but I couldn't get a good result. one of my teammates found a solution in 3dmax. Our deadline is in 3 days so we have to go with
that one.

Thnx again everyone!

Robert:
danke für deinen Tipp bis bald!

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.