PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell 1.7 - realistic lighting and shading

keraj37
03-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi,

I really hope I will get answer for this question, so please if u know how to create relistic lights and shaders in maxwell 1.7 I will be more than greatfull.

My question is general - for visualizations mostly.

regards
keraj37

noouch
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I don't think it's possible to even get "unrealistic" results in Maxwell per se... Are you running in to any issues in doing so?

Just check out the MXM gallery and look at how the artists assembled the materials. Diffuse, bump and reflection maps can make or break your scene with MW (or any renderer for that matter). The rest is good knowledge of photographic lighting. In arch viz it can be as simple as placing the sunlight in the right spot.

keraj37
03-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for answer noouch!

Unfortunetly Im capeble to make unrealistic renders in maxwell - Im talented in this way.
It is really posible - did u try maxwell yourself? My renders suck:/

CHRiTTeR
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
maxwell is just like any renderer. Its not because you use maxwell that you will automaticly get the renders you imagine in your head (even though they make you to think so). Some things are easier to setup, but thats it.

The first thing that is important is to have a good looking models without any mesherrors.
Also verry important and many times neglected is that you must create everyting using correct scale.

Then you need to create good materials with and use nice detailed textures.
Theres no rule of thumb to create good materials, parameters can differ quite radically between materials to get good results. If you wanna know how to make good shaders, check out the maxwell manual. Its pretty good.

Then you need to create good lighting so everything will be presented in a pleasing way.
Also here, you'll need a good knowledge about lighting in general.

As you can understand maxwell cant do that for you, you'll need to have a good understanding of those steps and put some energy in the scene setup to get good results.

Maxwell will only output what you feed to it

Maybe you can post an example of one of your renders, that way its easier to see where things might go wrong.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2010, 02:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.