PDA

View Full Version : Windows Xp

ambassador
12-14-2001, 10:28 AM
i was wondering if the 3D apps worked fine on XP, or if anyone had some problems with any programs on it.:confused: ;)

Equinoxx
12-14-2001, 10:31 AM
I know 3dsmax 4.2 works on xp with the c-dilla update, dunno bout the others.

Kid_Kodak
12-14-2001, 01:14 PM
I'm using Maya on XP Pro, and it works just fine. I have to say: I don't miss Win2000 at ALL. All my apps are OK (Photoshop, illustrators, etc.), and my scanner and my printer are faster (?)...

pat
12-14-2001, 01:41 PM
XSI works fine too

ambassador
12-14-2001, 10:14 PM
cool, im tired of 2k and 98:D

i was wondering how LW worked on it to:confused:

Chewey
12-14-2001, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by ambassador
cool, im tired of 2k and 98:D

i was wondering how LW worked on it to:confused:

I've read of some XP running LW problems with "white on white" text boxes related to a bug in XP where oriental language support breaks the display calls Lightwave uses for its text entry widgets. Disabling eastern and oriental language support fixes the problem. Moreover, I've seen no one reporting performance gains using LW on XP.

XP is a bit too fisher price looking and bloated to bother IMHO. Everything I have works just fine and I'm in no rush to deal with surprises. I'd wait for SP1.

"Not that there's anything wrong with it!"

"I am Chewey, hear me roar!"

ambassador
12-14-2001, 10:43 PM
oh ok, seems like they all pretty much work. I havent seen the interface yet though.........im happy as long as it doesnt crash as much as the others

Chewey
12-14-2001, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by ambassador
oh ok, seems like they all pretty much work. I havent seen the interface yet though.........im happy as long as it doesnt crash as much as the others

Do you have crashes with W2K Pro? I've had very good luck with it on my Intergraph. I've had 2 bluescreens in over a year and they were related to a cable modem that was flakey. It's been very stable using a variety of aps from LW to Maya and others. Lightwave 7b runs as solid as a rock.

ambassador
12-14-2001, 11:11 PM
yeah 2k works pretty good, i think i just have a bug or something on my system. LW 7.b crashes sometimes when i use certain shaders....but when it crashes i always have to restart my computer because it drags if i re-open it after it crashes...which is not really that often.

Martin-K-
12-17-2001, 09:46 AM
Mirai also works in XP. but it has errors showing up when doing certain things ( export/import/ render/ and a few others )
also on some computers you need to do a workaround to get it to startup. )

other than that it works fine. but its nicer on 2k.

wolf
12-17-2001, 03:38 PM
Definently hope it works with Max, as im gonna upgrade to xp soon.

SheepFactory
12-17-2001, 06:36 PM
Maya works fine , LW works fine , all the 2d stuff works fine , I dont miss win 2000 at all!.

XP is definitely the way to go :)

A|i

Viekoslav
12-17-2001, 08:52 PM
I updated to XP Pro to find out that my digital camera is not compatible with it ??? which is completely absurd since XP is supposed to be excellent for digital cameras. Had to reinstall 2000 and XP is collecting dust on the shelf until a fix is released (if ever).

And just so you guys are aware the camera is a Canon NC2000.

Lightwave however...runs like the wind under XP Pro! :)

ambassador
12-17-2001, 10:11 PM
thanks for the info everyone, i will most likely be upgrading to XP pro after chrismas

sigma
12-20-2001, 09:02 PM
speaking of Windows XP
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_478558.html?menu=news.latestheadlines

:rolleyes:

On another note, heres an email about Win XP and Maya from A|W

Reply-To:: Alias software discussion <ALIAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Date: Thursday, December 20, 2001 6:43 PM
To: <ALIAS-L@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject: Re: hmmmm

> "T.f" wrote:
>
> well will maya work under XP home=?????
> a straight answer please

We currently will formally qualify Maya for Windows XP professional
only.

Chris Ford

--

(Senior Product Manager, Maya - Alias|wavefront Santa Barbara)

Chewey
12-20-2001, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Chewey

I've read of some XP running LW problems with "white on white" text boxes related to a bug in XP where oriental language support breaks the display calls Lightwave uses for its text entry widgets. Disabling eastern and oriental language support fixes the problem. Moreover, I've seen no one reporting performance gains using LW on XP.

XP is a bit too fisher price looking and bloated to bother IMHO. Everything I have works just fine and I'm in no rush to deal with surprises. I'd wait for SP1.

Well, surprise, surprise!!

ahem...like I said, I'd wait for SP1 before installing XP.

ambassador
12-20-2001, 10:20 PM
"ahem...like I said, I'd wait for SP1 before installing XP."

whats sp1?

JoBbE
12-20-2001, 10:37 PM
sp = service pack, so updates etc..

CIM
12-21-2001, 07:48 AM
Do the programs work the same on XP HE and XP Pro? I got XP HE with my new computer and wasn't planning to upgrade to XP Pro.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.