PDA

View Full Version : Alien2 Model - another one!

shoey
09-03-2003, 07:53 PM
Update: Latest Image!!!

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new07.jpg

BlueCougar
09-04-2003, 06:07 AM
Good work,
My advice is to keep the poly count low and not subdivide since it will be in Sub-D's in Maya.

Kenn

shoey
09-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Cheers Cougar,

The meshsmooth is just for rendering. If the model gats used i'll pass it on without any smoothing.

Here's a little update from last night, just a bit of work on the hands. I'll try to put more work into it tonight.

image removed

Cheers:thumbsup:

shoey
09-04-2003, 03:13 PM
Just a small update during lunch.

image removed

Hope it looks like its going the right way:thumbsup:

shoey
09-04-2003, 08:36 PM
Ok, its home time. Tweaked alot of the geometry around the hands and arms, doesn't look like much but its alot more tidy.

image removed

Crits would be cool, and i'll try and stick the head on next week when i can get home and get it.

Cheers, Phil:thumbsup:

PaxtonGerrish
09-05-2003, 10:38 PM
sweet.
i like his fat little hands
keep it up man!

Aearon
09-06-2003, 04:05 AM
agreed, the hands look very very good :thumbsup:

the body still needs some work obviously, waiting for the next steps... promising :beer:

shoey
09-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the comments guys:thumbsup:

Sorry there's been a lack of updates, i've been on holiday but will crack on with the model next week. Just lettin you know that i'm still workin on it:wip:

shoey
09-27-2003, 10:42 PM
jeeeeeeees,

havin three weeks off really gets me out of the swing of things. Just been trying to tweak the legs, taking me a while to get back into it.

image removed

Should be plenty of updates this week as i'm back at work all week.:wip:

shoey
09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
ok,

started making changes to the model for the new concept. Took a hell of a lot longer than i thought and i ended up deleting quite alot and starting again. Anyway, here's what's finished so far. Let me know what you think guys:thumbsup:

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new01.jpg

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new02.jpg

Cheers, Shoey.

Aearon
09-30-2003, 11:07 AM
wow big step shoey. keep doing this :thumbsup:

Kirt
10-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Yes, yes YES!! He's looking perfect so far shoey :thumbsup:

Keep going with him and I think we'll finally have a working model of alien number 2. Excellent work.

shoey
10-01-2003, 10:00 AM
Thanks alot guys, its good to know i'm heading in the right direction with this guy. :thumbsup:

I tried to get his legs done last night but had 2 problems: 1. I suck at making feet and 2. It was really late and I wanted to go to sleep:D

Here's the update, the feet suck so i'll change them when i've got time, really want to start on the head soon though.

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new03.jpg

Any suggestions for the legs and feet would be great:)

Cheers, Phil

shoey
10-02-2003, 09:40 PM
Kirt, if you have any more views to work from for the head and feet they'd help alot, i'm kinda just winging it at the mo and hoping that it looks ok.

Cheers, Phil.

(slightly updated the image in last post)

wolferey
10-02-2003, 10:26 PM
thought i'd kick in and comment a little.

concept: http://www.kirtstanke.com/alienz/images/alien2.jpg

The arm from the shoulder looks slimmer than on your picture.
Also, his fingers and thumb needs a little work. Or else it looks really nice :)

DrAdamDinosaur
10-03-2003, 12:16 AM
Really nice work shoey. You got a whole lot more of a toony character than I did. Model is coming along great.

fellah
10-03-2003, 12:08 PM
very nice cartoonish shapes, so far he look almost perfect to me.
the feets looks pretty good already even though you said you ain't satisfied with them. just a little tweak and make them a little less high on the y-axis. I think this character would look better with a little 'flatter' feets, for weight. (just a little, well.. consider this as a nitpick.. ;) )

looking forward to see more of this, good job so far shoey. you've definitely captured his soul already :thumbsup:

shoey
10-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks alot for the kind words guys:thumbsup: I'll try to take on board the suggestions you've made.

Had a really busy weekend so no update yet, but rest assured i'll get some more work done on his head tonight. For now i've just slightly changed the feet and made a render of the back for kirt to look at.

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new05.jpg

Any more ideas on how to better the model are very welcome.

Cheers, Phil.

ilasolomon
10-06-2003, 02:42 PM
the body's overall shape looks good, maybe legs ought to be closer to the center.
Head is still wip, so no comment on that area, yet.
Good work Shoey, Keep it up man.

shoey
10-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Thanks Ila, i've tried your suggestion about the legs and made a quick update on the head, still quite a lot of work left but deadlines at work are looming.

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new06.jpg

I seem to be struggling with the head, i think i need a few hours of solid work on it to make it look better.

Comment and suggestions welcome as usual.

Cheers, shoey.

BlueCougar
10-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Rockin' Model Shoey! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

Kenn

Aearon
10-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by fist
keep doing this :thumbsup:

you did :cool: nothing much to add shoey, it's spot on as far as i am concerned. nice & smooth all around.

Kirt
10-08-2003, 10:50 AM
shoey - I think you got it dude. You just sent me a PM about additional sketches for the head and I really don't think you need them. What you need for the head is only a couple more of the tentacle things going down the back of his head. And they should get progressively shorter as they reach his collar.

I think I did about 6 pairs (keeping with the theme of threes). However if it looks better with more or less, that would be good with me.

Other than that I think we're done with this guy. Ready for rigging and some texture work (if we can find a texture guy ... but I think it's going to be me).

Really nice work on this one. I'm impressed on how you managed to make him work. Good job :thumbsup:

Give me some ortho views so I can give the final OK on this one before it goes to rigging.

shoey
10-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Thanks alot for your approval:thumbsup:

I still have some finishing touches to put to the head, like the tenticles and the teeth and tongue. Then i'll have a go a texturing him myself if you like or i'll just leave it to the pro's. I can rig him too but i'm using max so that might be a problem.

Anyway, here's the ortho, its quite big:hmm:

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/ortho.jpg

Cheers, Phil

Aearon
10-08-2003, 07:43 PM
hey everyone.. i'm not sure about this, but looking at the mesh it seems very low on polycount in some areas, which might cause problems for rigging/animation. the shape is perfect in the stills, but we probably need some more detail for good deformations.

especially topology of the face needs some work in my opinion, the mouth that is. with the way you built it we won't be able to model all the shapes we may need. right now you have poles right at the edges of the mouth.. although none of this is visible in kirts sketches i'd still go for a humanoid topology there (loops around mouth being the most important aspect), or it might look a little unnatural later on.

all this is not as bad as it sounds of course.. quite easily fixed.

shoey
10-08-2003, 08:01 PM
is it just the head that you think is too low poly or the body as well?

I'll change the topology of the head when i'm adding the other details, the head's kinda still at WIP stage. It'll be no probs to change it round to be more humanoid, the first version of the head i made was like that but i lost it on my old pc.:annoyed:

I'll try and get him completly finished this weekend but i'm moving house so don't know if i'll have time.

Cheers for the comments, Phil.:thumbsup:

Aearon
10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
the first version of the head i made was like that but i lost it on my old pc.

i see... d'oh :rolleyes:

i don't know about the body really. it does look like the sketch, but we may still get some problems with animation. most parts look fine, but esp. because we will have squash & stretch on the characters (as far as i know) some more edgeloops along the limbs might be useful to define the shape. 4 segments on the fingers also seem very low to me, again it looks nice on the stills but the deformations might not turn out right, with 4 segments you'll always get this perfectly round look, and the area between two fingers looks too smooth. i would have gone for a minimum of 6.. but lets here what the others have to say (mr modeling director ila?)

shoey
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
Hey guys, don't worry i've not given up on this guy!

It turned out that moving house was a hell of alot more trouble than expected and as a consequence i haven't been able to progress with the alien any further. My pc is still packed away in a box at the mo so whatever work i get done will have to be done in the office.

I'm going to get on with finishing his head ASAP and hand over the model for completion.

Watch this space:thumbsup:

shoey
11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
ok, this is all i've had time for lately, just a quick rigging test but its pretty pointless cos its done in max. if people think its finished then i'll hand over the file for people to rig etc. in maya as i don't have it.

http://www.philshoebottom.co.uk/Art/new07.jpg

orangefisk
11-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Heya Phil!
Awsome dude! :thumbsup:
I really like the model - it catches the feel the original scetch perfect!

So - keep em comming - Love your work.

(I need to model some toony stuff soon again, totally wastet myself on that human head thing :shrug: )

ilasolomon
11-07-2003, 10:34 PM
That's GR8, Kirt, confirm, please. :)
Thanks a lot shoey, you weldone.

Kirt
11-08-2003, 12:36 AM
:thumbsup: Definately!

Start rigging this one, I like it a lot. Great work shoey.

:beer:

shoey
11-10-2003, 10:27 AM
thanks alot guys:thumbsup:

i keep meaning to try and texture him but i don't know whether the maps would convert over to maya as i've never tried it.

also, with regards to morph targets etc. will that all be done in maya too? i would've used morpher in max but would it be best for someone else to just make them in maya?

Let me know who to give the file to and what format you need it, then i'll just email it over to one of you guys.

Cheers, Phil :)

ilasolomon
11-10-2003, 11:58 PM
Texture: we have not anyone for that, yet! all textures might (ought to, should, must, have to?) be made by one person.
Morph targets: If you can do them, do them! if can't or don't want do, leave it to the others.

Files go to me first, and 3dsmax format is very okay. :) send it to me, please. I'll check and let you know if is there anything missed or whatever.

Thanx again
ila

shoey
11-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Ila, i've sent you and kirt a link to a zip file with the alien in. Hope everything is ok with it.

Cheers, Phil:thumbsup:

ilasolomon
11-12-2003, 09:38 AM
Thanx a lot Phil, I've got it and now I'm going to check it out, will let you know then.
Cya
ila

shoey
11-13-2003, 11:44 AM
Doh:hmm:

Just remembered i forgot to put in the teeth and tongue, sorry:blush:

If you need me to make them let me know, otherewise feel free to add them in ila.

Cheers, Phil.

shoey
11-13-2003, 02:41 PM
The other thing is, i'm not great at rigging but would like to have a go at animating him so would someone be kind enough to make a rig for him in 3dsmax or is it all done in maya, if so i'll have a go at rigging him myself so that i can have a play.

Cheers, Phil

BlueCougar
11-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Once it is rigged in Maya it can be FBX'ed back to Max, don't know how well it will translate back tho....

Kenn

ilasolomon
11-13-2003, 10:52 PM
To Phil:
Sure, I'll take care of his innards! :D

To Kenn:
Sure, It exports all bone and link systems, except IKs and expressions. One have to re-set the IK systems in the other package.

I myself prefer to animate in max rather than Maya!

CuTnPaste
11-17-2003, 08:18 AM
GReat model.....since you pose first polygons I see you kick the asses!

c o o l

I cannot resist !!

SOmeOne put together the two Aliens in a Picture||!!

:wip:

unLevel
11-19-2003, 05:19 PM
we need posters and tee shirts!! :beer:

Looking great guys!!

shoey
11-20-2003, 11:36 AM
If someone sends me both aliens rigged in max format i'd gladly make a poster, advertising, merchandise, etc. or just a render with them both in.

How is my alien rigging coming along? has anyone had chance to get him moving yet?

Cheers, Phil

CuTnPaste
11-20-2003, 01:15 PM
yessa...give me a rigged maya mesh..... :)

ilasolomon
11-20-2003, 10:53 PM
:) nothing, yet.
but soon.

shoey
12-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Are you nearlly done ila? ;)

:wip: :wip: :wip:

ilasolomon
12-01-2003, 04:09 PM
:blush:

shoey
12-01-2003, 04:24 PM
soz ila:hmm:

just can't wait to have a play with him. :D

Hope the whole project starts up again soon, it'd be a shame if it didn't get finished.:cry:

oh well, back to work:bounce:

shoey
12-15-2003, 11:06 AM
any update:blush:

CuTnPaste
12-15-2003, 11:19 AM
HEy---have you finished Alien2??
may I have the model to animate him?

thank you

ilasolomon
12-15-2003, 01:36 PM
model is finished, but not rigged...do you wanna rig it Paolo?

CuTnPaste
12-15-2003, 03:07 PM
hem

:)

I'm really busy at the moment....I've another project about rig method....take a look to my Iron Bang thread

and post to me some suggestions!! :D

ilasolomon
12-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Okay! ;)
Mike, how about you? wanna rig it?

Miroku
01-10-2004, 02:21 AM
I like the rendering style a lot. It really fits the character design. Good work!

elfling bard
01-28-2004, 02:42 AM
So what is happening with the project...still going on? Seem that it need a little push forward!
Now that I got the facilities to do live music and voice recording at home, I can do all sound fx, voices and music.
Kirt, if you want more examples of what I can do I can send you a demo cd... I know that I told you that I'd link a sample pitch for this project but I was too much involves in other works, and noticed that I had plenty of time for this.
I downloaded the sample dialogue text and I can send tests in 3 weeks but I just want to make sure that the project is still on the go before!

I hope to see new stuff coming up soon!
This project still look promising!:drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.